- Applying to study
- New to Uni
- Important dates 2022
- Fees and costs
- The Academy
Services and facilities
- - Student Central
- - Workshops, programs and online resources
- - Academic Literacy Support
- - Counselling Service
- - Disability Service
- - Student Welfare Service
- - MATES
- - International Buddy Program
- - English Conversation Groups
- - Special Consideration
- - Student Legal Services
- - Chaplaincy and Inclusive Communities
- - Student Representation & Participation
- - International student support
- - Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander student support
- - Student Stores
- - Online student support
- - Student facilities
- - Support for Student Veterans
- - TalkCampus
- Online systems
- Student Misconduct Rule
- Semi Permanent Unlimited Live
- Western Digital Story Telling Project
Support is available for Student Carers.
If you care for someone with a disability or chronic health condition as outlined in the Carer Recognition Act 2010 , you may be eligible for a Carer Verification Statement (CVS). The Act defines a carer as an individual who provides personal care, support and assistance to another individual with a disability, medical condition (including a terminal or chronic illness or mental illness) or who is frail aged.
You're not eligible for a CVS if the care you provide is:
- For child/ren who do not have a disability or medical condition
- Under contract of service
- Volunteer work for a charitable, welfare or community organisation
- A course requirement as part of study or training
To apply for a CVS, complete the online form
For any enquiries, contact the Student Welfare Service via WesternNow or call 1300 668 370 (option 4 then option 1) to book an appointment.
What is a Carer Verification Statement (CVS)?
A CVS is a document developed by the Welfare Service to confirm a student's caring responsibilities.
It can be used as supporting documentation for:
- An Extension for Assessment application on the first occasion. If a second extension is required for the same task, a Disruption to Studies application must be lodged with additional supporting documentation.
Note: If you're studying at The College, apply for an Extension by emailing your teacher and attaching your CVS.
- A Timetable allocation or amendment application (Change of Class)
Note: While every effort will be made to accommodate requested changes, the outcome is dependent on tutorial availability. More information is available on the Changing Classes webpage.
How do I apply for a Carer Verification Statement?
Eligible students can apply at anytime throughout their studies by completing the online application and attaching one of the following:
- Carer Registration Form (PDF, 104.29 KB) (opens in a new window) completed by a registered Health professional
- Centrelink Carer Payment or Carer Allowance statement
Renewing your Carer Verification Statement
A CVS is valid for
- 12 months from the date of issue
- The duration of time listed on the Carer Registration form PDF (PDF, 104.29 KB) (opens in a new window) by the health practitioner (if less than 12 months)
Once your CVS expires, re-apply by completing the online application.
Support for Carers
If you would like to speak to a Welfare Officer about managing your caring responsibilities alongside your studies, book an appointment by submitting an enquiry via WesternNow or call 1300 668 370 (option 4 then option 1)
External support services include:
- Carers NSW: Information, resources and training for carers, including the Young Carer Program. 1800 242 636
- Carer Gateway: Access tailored support packages which may include financial grants for education expenses, respite care, and cooking and cleaning services.
- Young Carers Network: Information, support and referrals for Young Carers, including the Young Carer Bursary.