Fees and university costs

How much does uni cost?

On this page you will find information about the fees you need to pay while at Western Sydney University, as well as information about other costs and financial programs and assistance.

Tuition fees

As a student, you may need to pay a number of fees throughout your studies, depending on your degree and your enrolment status. These fees may include student contribution and tuition fees. If you're eligible, you may also be able to obtain a HELP loan for payment of your student contribution or tuition fees.

Fees for undergraduate International students are different than for local students (Australian citizens, Australian permanent residents, NZ citizens, and holders of an Australian permanent resident humanitarian visa). For more information on fees for International students, please visit the International course fees page.

Undergraduate students

You are an undergraduate student if you have completed secondary studies (e.g. Higher School Certificate (HSC) or equivalent) and are now studying a Bachelor degree. For fee purposes at Western Sydney University you are considered a Commonwealth supported student.

Postgraduate students

You are a postgraduate student if you have successfully completed an undergraduate course (such as a Bachelor degree), completed equivalent studies or have experience in that field of study and are now studying a Graduate Certificate, Graduate Diploma or Masters (by Coursework).

Higher Degree Research students

You are a Higher Degree Research student if you are enrolled in a degree where a minimum of 66 per cent of the work is undertaken by way of independent research (such as a PhD, Masters Honours, Professional Doctorate).

International students

You are an International student if you are not an Australian citizen, New Zealand citizen or Permanent Resident of Australia.

Student Services and Amenities Fee (SSAF)

What is SSAF?

SSAF is a fee all students pay, which funds services and amenities including sporting and recreational activities, employment and career advice, health and welfare, study skills programs, orientation, child care, financial advice, overseas student services and food services.

The University consults with students and their representatives about what you see as the priorities for student services and amenities.

Other costs

Apart from tuition fees (for your course and units) and SSAF, there are a number of costs associated with studying at university. Make sure you find out what additional costs you'll have while studying at Western Sydney University.

Repeating units

If you are required or choose to repeat a unit that you have already studied, the fee for that unit will be reapplied.

That means you will need to pay the fee again (every time you repeat the same unit), even if you paid it when you first studied that unit.


Textbooks can be expensive with costs varying according to the course and units you're studying. Textbooks are often compulsory and you will be required to use them for weekly readings, assessments or open book exams.

You can buy textbooks from the book stores on each campus. The University Library buys at least one copy of every prescribed textbook, which are held in 'closed reserve' so they can't be taken out of the library. You can photocopy one chapter or 10% of the number of pages of a textbook (whichever is greater) without infringing copyright laws. The library also aims to hold every 'recommended reading' book in closed reserve.

Second-hand textbooks are also available to buy.

Travel costs

Getting to uni often has associated costs, whether you're using public transport or driving. It's important to know how you're going to get to and from uni, and how much that will cost each week or across the teaching session.


Our campuses are restricted parking areas which use a paid parking system. All vehicles parked on a Western Sydney University campus must display a valid Western Sydney University parking permit on the lower, driver's side windscreen/dash.

Photocopying and printing

Frequent printing of lecture notes at the computer labs can add considerably to your stationery costs. Take the time to look over a journal article or textbook chapter before you photocopy or print. If there's only a small amount of information relevant to what you need, you're better off making notes (remember to reference) than wasting paper to print/photocopy. Look around for cheaper photocopying rates, and compare places like Officeworks with the university libraries.


Writing paper and photocopy/printer paper can be surprisingly expensive. Buy large packs of A4 notepaper at discount stores (e.g. Kmart, Big W) and keep any left over for the next teaching session. Use both sides of the paper for writing notes and for printing draft versions of assignments. Recycle binders/lever arch folders after each session, rather than storing notes in them.

Course equipment

Many courses will require you to buy specialised equipment, such as lab coats for science, calculators for accounting or engineering, uniforms for clinical placements and art supplies for visual arts subjects etc. The retail outlets on each campus stock all required equipment at reasonable prices. Students also place items for sale on notice boards.

Additional course related costs

Some courses will have additional, compulsory costs. For example, PDHPE students must complete a Senior First Aid Certificate (around $160) as part of the requirements for one unit of their course. Nursing students have a number of additional costs, such as immunisations and a Lab Pack. Check with your School for information about your particular course.

Encumbrances and library fines

An encumbrance is a restriction applied to students with outstanding fees or fines. These can be imposed by different areas of the University, for different reasons, including library fines for overdue books and non-payment of your SSAF.

Encumbrances have serious consequences; they can cancel your access to University online systems and library facilities, will stop you from getting your results and will restrict you from enrolling in the next teaching session, as well as prevent you from graduating. It is important to pay attention to the due dates on notices from the University such as invoices, enrolment information and library books.

Work opportunities and financial assistance

Jobs, assistance and advice

There are a range of work opportunities and financial assistance programs available to students that can help you manage the costs of studying.

Related links

More information and help

If you need more information, help or advice, please contact Student Central at studentcentral@westernsydney.edu.au or call the Student Central Infoline on 1300 668 370.