Student Legal Services

Western Sydney University in partnership with Macquarie Legal Centre

Who are we?

Student Legal Services (SLS) is a legal advice and referral service for current students of Western Sydney University. It is a joint venture between Macquarie Legal Centre and the University. Qualified solicitors from Macquarie Legal Centre provide the legal advice.

This service is provided through SSAF funds.

Can we help?

If you are a current student of Western Sydney University or Western Sydney University, The College* we may be able to help.

SLS is a legal advice and referral service available to all University students – both domestic and international students. If we are unable to assist you with your legal enquiry (for example, if we do not advise on that particular area of law or we feel that there is a conflict of interest) we may be able to make a referral to a more appropriate service.

At present, we can advise on the following areas of law:

  • Consumer rights
  • Debt/credit issues
  • Minor crimes
  • Motor vehicle accidents
  • On campus parking fines
  • Plagiarism
  • Tenancy and accommodation  (including Western Sydney University Village)
  • Traffic offences

* Please note: students of the English Language Programs run by The College are not eligible for this service.

Service hours and contact details

SLS operates a drop in service at Bankstown and Campbelltown campuses as well as a call back system.

Drop in details:

Bankstown campus:

Building 10, room G.25
Time: 10.00am to 2.00pm 
Day: Every second Friday

Campbelltown campus:

Building 5, room G.03
Time: 10.00am to 2.00pm 
Day: Every second Friday

If you would like legal advice and are unable to drop in, please call 02 9685 4790 and leave a voicemail with the following information:

  • Full name;
  • Student identification number; and
  • Telephone number

Voicemails can be left Monday – Friday between the hours of 9:00am – 4:30pm.

You can also reach us by emailing Advice will be given over the telephone or through face-to-face appointments if necessary.

To find out further details please contact us over the phone or via email.

Phone: 02 9685 4790
Fax: 02 9685 4799

Frequently Asked Questions

What type of problems do you help with?
SLS provides advice on a range of different areas of law. If your problem is not an area of law we advise on, we will try to refer you to another service.

Will I have to pay any money for your help?
No. SLS is a free service that is provided through your SSAF funds.

Will I be speaking to a solicitor?
A qualified and professional solicitor from Macquarie Legal Centre will provide you with the legal advice.

Do I have to be a current student?
Yes. In order to receive legal advice, you must be a current student of Western Sydney University or The College.

Are you located on campus?
SLS is currently located at the Parramatta Community Justice Clinic within Parramatta Local Court. SLS also operates a drop-in service at various campuses. If you would like to meet the solicitor t your local campus, please contact SLS via phone or email.

Can you represent me at court?
Generally no, however, the solicitor will assess each matter on a case-by-case basis.

Will my information be kept confidential?
Yes. All information provided to SLS, including advice given, will be kept confidential.

cruWsible articles