- Applying to study
- New to Uni
- Important dates
- Fees and costs
- The Academy
Services and facilities
- - Student Services Hub
- - Workshops, programs and online resources
- - Academic Literacy Support
- - Counselling Service
- - Disability Service
- - Student Welfare Service
- - MATES
- - English Conversation Groups
- - Special Consideration
- - Student Legal Services
- - Chaplaincy and Inclusive Communities
- - Student Representation & Participation
- - International student support
- - Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander student support
- - Student Stores
- - Online student support
- - Student facilities
- - Support for Student Veterans
- - TalkCampus
- Online systems
- Student Misconduct Rule
- Semi Permanent Unlimited Live
- Western Digital Story Telling Project
Student Legal Services
Who are we?
The Student Legal Service (SLS) is a free legal advice and referral service. Funded through SSAF funds, the SLS is available to all current domestic and international students of Western Sydney University or Western Sydney University, The College.
The service is provided by qualified lawyers of the Western Sydney University Justice Clinic who, depending on the semester, may be helped by law students completing a clinical legal education subject and / or law graduates completing their Practical Legal Training.
Can we help?
At present, we can advise on the following areas of law:
- Tenancy and accommodation
- Consumer rights
- Minor criminal matters
- Debt/credit issues
- Motor vehicle accidents
- On campus parking fines
- Traffic offences
The SLS may also be able to certify documents as true copies and witness statutory declarations and other formal documents, subject to availability.
If we are unable to help you with your legal enquiry (for example, if we do not advise on that particular area of law or there is a conflict of interest) we will refer you to a more appropriate service.
Please note that the SLS does not provide advice or representation about complaints or matters that involve, or may involve, Western Sydney University or Western Sydney University, The College. We also do not advise on migration, visa, family law or major criminal matters.
If you would like legal help please call the Student Legal Service on 02 9685 4788, or email the completed SLS Request For Help form to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Student Legal Service is staffed 2 days per week. We will try to contact you within 3 business days of receiving your call or email. Where possible we will give advice over the telephone. Alternatively, awe will organise face-to-face appointments if necessary.
To find out further details, please contact us via email at email@example.com
Frequently Asked Questions
What type of problems do you help with?
SLS provides advice on a range of different areas of law. If your problem is not an area of law we advise on, we will try to refer you to another service.
Will I have to pay any money for your help?
No. SLS is a free service that is provided through your SSAF funds.
Will I be speaking to a solicitor?
A qualified and professional solicitor from the Student Legal Service will provide you with the legal advice.
Do I have to be a current student?
Yes. In order to receive legal advice, you must be a current student of Western Sydney University or The College.
Are you located on campus?
The SLS is located within the Western Sydney University Justice Clinic on the Parramatta South campus in Building EJc. If you would like to make an appointment to meet with a lawyer, please contact the SLS by phone or email first.
Can you represent me at court?
The SLS is not currently resourced to be able to represent students at court, but is able to provide referral to legal services who can.
Will my information be kept confidential?
Yes. All information provided to SLS, including advice given, will be kept confidential.
SLS Fact Sheets
- Misconduct Matters (opens in a new window)
- Apprehended Violence Orders (AVOs)(Oct2022)
- Employment Law - Awards (Oct 2022)
- Employment Law - Probation (Oct 2022)
- Insurance Law - the Basics (Oct 2022)
- Recording and Distributing Intimate Images (2022)
- Intimate Images Offences (Dec 2022)
- Tenancy Rights - Rental Bonds (Oct 2022)
- Modified vehicles in NSW (Dec 2022)
- Road Safety: Learners Drivers Licence (Dec 2022)
- Traffic Offences: Paying and Challenging Fines (Dec 2022)
Criminal Defence Lawyers Australia / SLS Info Sheets