There may be times during your program when you experience personal hardship that impacts your studies. We can provide free and confidential assistance to navigate University processes including Misconduct, Review of Grade, Disruption to Studies, Progression Appeals and Withdrawal Without Academic/Financial Penalty. We can also support you to report bullying.

Please understand that while we’re able to provide advice, we must do so within the guidelines of the University’s policies.

Contact the Student Welfare Service via or 1300 668 370 (option 5) to book an appointment.

Guidance with University Processes


If you’ve been accused of Academic, General or Research misconduct, Welfare Officers can:

  • Provide information about relevant policies and processes
  • Provide guidance on preparing for your meeting
  • Attend the Misconduct Meeting or Hearing with you
  • Inform you about appeal options

Visit the Student Misconduct Rule webpage for more information.

Review of grade

If you believe your final grade in a subject does not accurately reflect your performance against the subject criteria, speak to the relevant academic about your concerns.

If you’re unable to resolve the issue, submit a Review of Grade application via Student Forms within 10 working days of your results being released in MySR.

Welfare Officers can assist you to identify which grounds are relevant to your application and suggest relevant supporting documentation.

Visit the Review of Grade webpage for more information.

Disruption to Studies

Submit a Disruption to Studies application if you’ve experienced a serious and unavoidable extenuating circumstance (such as a health issue, hardship, or trauma) that has impacted your ability to study for three consecutive days.

You must apply within five days of the disruption occurring and your application will take up to 10 business days to be assessed.

If approved, you’ll be provided with special provisions such as an extension or a supplementary task.

Welfare Officers can provide guidance on the process, suggest relevant supporting documentation and refer you to additional support services.

Visit the Disruption to Studies webpage for more information.

Withdrawal without academic penalty (WWAP)

If you’ve experienced extenuating circumstances that have impacted your studies after the Census Date and need to withdraw from your studies, you can apply for Withdrawal Without Academic/ Financial Penalty (WWAP) via WesternNow

Welfare Officers can suggest relevant supporting documentation, review your application before you submit it, and link you to additional support services.

Note: We can provide advice on your application but cannot guarantee the outcome.

Visit the Withdrawal Without Academic Penalty webpage for more information.

Progression and Academic Appeals

If you’re ‘at risk’ of Exclusion or Conditional Enrolment, our team can provide you with information on relevant support services.

If you’ve been Excluded or placed on Conditional Enrolment but your studies were impacted by extenuating circumstances (such as a health issue, hardship or trauma) we can provide guidance on how to submit a Show Cause application.

Visit the Progression Show Cause and Appeals webpage for more information.

The University provides students with the right of appeal against a range of academic decisions via the Academic Appeals Procedures. Refer to The Academic Appeals web page for further information.


Bullying is not acceptable anytime, anywhere. The University is committed to ensuring a safe, respectful, and inclusive learning environment for all.

Note: The below information is primarily for students. If you're a staff member who has experienced bullying in the workplace, refer to the Bullying Prevention Policy and Guidelines and contact the Complaints Resolution Unit, your HR Advisor or Equity and Diversity for further advice.

What is bullying?

Bullying is repeated, unreasonable behaviour that is intimidating, degrading or humiliating. It can impact safety and wellbeing, including psychological, emotional and physical health and may take place on campus, within student accommodation, or via phone, email or online.

How can I report bullying?

If you’ve witnessed or experienced bullying:

1. Record the behaviours in writing

  • Make note of the date, time, location and witnesses.
  • Describe the bullying behaviours.
  • Describe the impact of the bullying e.g. impact to studies, submission of tasks, class attendance. If you've accessed wellbeing support such as a doctor or wellbeing service, you can include this information too.
  • Seek support from the Counselling or the Student Welfare Service 

2. Speak to the bully directly if you can and it's safe to do so

Make it clear that the behaviour is unwelcome and unacceptable and ask them to stop. This may resolve the matter. If not, proceed to the next step.

3. Report bullying to the University

  • Provide details of each bullying incident.
  • If the bullying allegation is against a student, report it to the relevant Dean. The matter will be dealt with under the Student Misconduct Rule.
  • If the bullying allegation is against a staff member, report it to their supervisor or relevant Dean. The matter will be dealt with under the Bullying Prevention Policy.
  • Ensure that you stay informed about the progress of your report. Seek regular updates from the Dean via email.

You can find the relevant Dean’s contact details in the Staff Directory. If you’re unsure who to report to, contact the Student Welfare Service for support via or 1300 668 370 (option 5)

4. Lodge a formal complaint

If you’ve reported bullying to the University but you’re unsatisfied with the outcome, lodge a formal complaint with the Complaints Resolution Unit. They’ll ask you what you’ve done to try to resolve the situation before they investigate the complaint. See the Complaint Management Policy for more information.

Wellbeing Services

If you’d like some support to report bullying, book an appointment with a Welfare Officer. Free and confidential counselling support is also available. Book with Student Welfare via or Counselling via or call us on 1300 668 370 (option 5)

External Services

Reachout is an online youth mental health service providing information on types of bullying and external support services.