- Inherent requirements key terms
- Inherent requirements for Accounting
- Inherent requirements for Bachelor of Applied Leadership and Critical Thinking
- Inherent requirements for Bachelor of Community Welfare
- Inherent requirements for Master of Art Therapy
- Inherent requirements for Graduate Diploma in Counselling
- Inherent requirements for Bachelor of Criminal and Community Justice
- Inherent requirements for Bachelor of Design (Visual Communication)
- Inherent requirements for Education and Teaching
- Inherent requirements for Engineering
- Inherent requirements for Epidemiology
- Inherent requirements for Interpreting and Translation
- Inherent requirements for Languages
- Inherent requirements for Law
- Inherent requirements for Medicine
- Inherent requirements for Midwifery (undergraduate)
- Inherent requirements for Nursing (undergraduate) courses
- Inherent requirements for Nursing and Midwifery (postgraduate)
- Inherent requirements for Physiotherapy
- Inherent requirements for Podiatric Medicine
- Inherent requirements for Master of Professional Psychology
- Inherent requirements for Master of Psychology
- Inherent requirements for Bachelor of Social Work
- Inherent requirements for Occupational Therapy
- Inherent requirements for Bachelor of Health Science Paramedicine (undergraduate) course
- Inherent requirements for TESOL
- Western Sydney University strongly supports the right of all people to pursue studies.
- The University embraces diversity and endeavours to accommodate all students.
What are inherent requirements?
Inherent requirements are the essential components of a course or unit that demonstrate the abilities, knowledge and skills to achieve the core learning outcomes of the course or unit.
Students with a disability or chronic health condition may be able to have reasonable adjustments made to enable them to meet these requirements.
Western Sydney University is committed to making reasonable adjustments to teaching and learning, assessment, placement and other activities to enable students' to participate in their course. Reasonable adjustments must not fundamentally change the nature of the inherent requirement.
Consideration is given to a student's cultural and religious background/beliefs, which may impact on participation in their course or unit. For further information contact your Director of Academic Program.
Are inherent requirements the same as compulsory requirements?
Inherent requirements are specific to a particular course. In the University context, compulsory requirements are broader and can include both compliance with the policies, procedures and regulations which are applicable to all students at the University but also the mandatory requirements associated with the course of study eg. attendance, completion of assignments.
Why are inherent requirements important?
Inherent requirements ensure the academic integrity of a course is maintained and preserves the university's learning, assessment and accreditation processes. They must be met by all students.
How does this affect you?
To successfully complete a course at Western Sydney University, you need to be able to meet all the inherent requirements. If you are applying for a course, you should read the inherent requirements carefully to ensure you are able to meet them. If you have a disability or chronic health condition, contact a Campus Disability Advisor to talk about the adjustments that may be put in place so you can meet the requirements.
- Call the Course Information Line on 1300 897 669
- Contact the Western Sydney University Disability Service
Inherent requirements at Western Sydney University
We're currently working to identify inherent requirements for all Western Sydney University courses so you can make more informed choices. The available inherent requirements are listed below.
- Bachelor of Applied Leadership and Critical Thinking
- Master of Art Therapy
- Bachelor of Community Welfare
- Graduate Diploma in Counselling
- Bachelor of Criminal and Community Justice
- Bachelor of Design
- Education and Teaching
- Interpreting and Translation
- Midwifery (undergraduate)
- Nursing (undergraduate)
- Nursing and Midwifery (postgraduate)
- Occupational Therapy
- Bachelor of Paramedicine
- Podiatric Medicine
- Master of Professional Psychology
- Master of Psychology (Clinical Psychology)
- Bachelor of Social Work
- Teachers of English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL)
Inherent requirement resources for staff
The staff Student Equity webpage has resources for staff (staff login required).
The Inherent Requirements content by the University of Western Sydney is subject to a Creative Commons Attribution-Non Commercial Share Alike 4.0 International licence. The details of the relevant licence conditions are available on the Creative Commons website (opens in a new window).
The Inherent Requirements content on this page may be used subject to the Creative Commons terms, by including the following attribution:
Inherent Requirements http://www.westernsydney.edu.au/ir
© University of Western Sydney is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Non Commercial Share Alike 4.0 International licence.