Week 2: UWS officially begins operations
Monday, 24 March 2014
The University of Western Sydney officially began operations on 1 January 1989.
The University initially was created with two members – UWS Hawkesbury and UWS Nepean. UWS Macarthur was incorporated in late 1989. The University’s motto was “Linked to the Future”.
From the archives
From the Archives this week, we have:
- In the above image gallery, the 1989 Launch Day Ceremonial Spades (AM-262; AM-339)
- Board of Governors - Inaugural meeting minutes (PDF, 1586.99 KB) (opens in a new window)
- Ground Breaking Ceremony (Werrington Site) - Speech by NSW Premier The Hon. NF Greiner MP (PDF, 155.6 KB)(opens in a new window) - 23 May 1988 (Al-29591)
- University of Western Sydney Act 1988 No.90 (PDF, 4274.52 KB)(opens in a new window) (Ref: Al-2965)
- Booklet - UWS A Federated Network, 1989 (PDF, 1878.45 KB)(opens in a new window) (Al-1374)
Did you know?
There were two ceremonial spades for the ‘Launch Day’ for the University of Western Sydney held on 1 August 1989. We don’t know why … do you?