Week 12: The Werrington North site
Monday, 2 June 2014
Werrington North Campus was part of the University of Western Sydney Nepean twenty five years ago this week. This site was first owned by Europeans in 1806 when it was part of a land grant to Mary Putland (Govenor Bligh’s daughter) but there were no buildings until the 1830s.
Prior to being established as the ‘headquarters’ of the new University of Western Sydney the site was used as a boys’ home known as Werrington Park.
The large lake below the main carpark was constructed during the works carried out in the late 1980’s to establish Chifley University (the name later being changed to University of Western Sydney).
Most of what is now Werrington was occupied by the Darug people prior to European arrival.
From the archives
Image galleryFrom the Archives this week, we have:
- In the above image gallery, an image of the main driveway of Werrington Park in 1961 (P6094).
- The from Main House facing west overlooking the dairy, swimming pool, tennis courts and dam 1961 (P6114).
- The view from Main House facing west overlooking the orchard and laundry towards Dunheved and Claremont houses 1961 (P6115).
- Construction of Werrington North Campus - Aerial Photograph of the Site 1988 (P5638).
- Construction of Werrington North Campus - Building AH on the Move 1988 (P5765).
- Siteworks Werrington Park Rawlinson Collection, May 1988.
- Chifley University Werrington Railway Development Plans 1987 (PDF, 4530.81 KB) (opens in a new window) (Extract from AI-37679).
- From Frogmore Farm To Werrington Park By Associate Professor R. Ian Jack and Dr Carol Liston (PDF, 5256.47 KB) (opens in a new window) (D97/0042).
Did you know?
The original gates from Werrington Park can still be seen attached to the outside wall of Building AB (near the roundabout).