Commonwealth Supported Students

As an undergraduate student at Western Sydney University you have been offered a Commonwealth Supported Place (CSP) and are considered a Commonwealth Supported Student (unless you are an international student).

Some postgraduate places are also Commonwealth Supported, please check the documents at Domestic fee paying students to see if your course falls into this category.

As a Commonwealth Supported Student the Australian Government contributes to the cost of your fees and you need to pay the remainder, which is called your Student Contribution. Your Student Contribution depends on the discipline area of each of your units. Discipline areas are divided into different Student Contribution bands.

Step 1: Find out your Student Contribution

The easiest way to find out how much your Student Contribution will be is to look up your electronic Statement of Account (eSOA) in the Fee Records section of  My Student Records (MySR) (opens in a new window). Your eSOA details the units you are enrolled in, how much you need to pay, the due date and methods of payment. Please make sure all details on your eSOA are correct before census date.

Please note that if you change your enrolment by adding or dropping units after you have paid, but before the session census date, you may have to pay additional fees. Depending on the contribution bands of the changed units, you may also become eligible for a refund (payable after census) or find your fees are unchanged.

Find out more about your Statement of Account

How can I work out my Student contribution in advance?

To work out how much your Student Contribution will be before you receive your eSOA, you will first need to find out the Student Contribution band your units fit into based on their general discipline area.

You can then use the Student Contribution calculator to work out the total amount of your contribution.

Find out more about Student Contribution bands

Find out more about Student Contribution calculations

Step 2: Find out about HELP options

The Higher Education Loan Program (HELP) is a range of loans introduced by the Australian Government from 2005 to provide fee payment assistance to eligible students. Loans are for Australian citizens studying in Australia or overseas. Permanent residents who hold a humanitarian visa are also eligible if studying in Australia.

If eligible you may be able to defer all or part of your Student Contribution through the HECS-HELP loan program. You may also be eligible for OS-HELP if undertaking studies overseas.

New Zealand citizens and holders of an Australian permanent resident visa (other than an Australian permanent humanitarian visa) are generally not entitled to HECS-HELP assistance. If you are a New Zealand citizen or permanent resident your Student Contribution amount must be paid in full by the census date.

However, the Australian Government has passed new legislation that changes the way some New Zealand citizens, who hold a Special Category Visa (SCV), studying in Australia will pay their fees. More information is available on the Changes to fees for New Zealand Citizens webpage.

Find out more about HECS-HELP

Find out more about OS-HELP

Step 3: Manage your finances

Fee deadlines

Deadlines for dealing with your fees are based on University census dates. You need to have paid your fees by this date each session. If you want to defer all or part of your fees, you need to have provided your Tax File Number (TFN) as part of your HECS-HELP application by this date.

Find out more about census dates

Payment options

The University offers a number of ways to make payment including credit card and BPay.

Find out more about paying your fees

Step 4: Check your eCAN

Your electronic Commonwealth Assistance Notice (eCAN) is an official record of your fees and enrolment. You need to check this to make sure all details are correct. Your eCAN will be available in My Student Records (MySR) within 28 days of the approved census date.

Find out more about Commonwealth Assistance Notice (CAN)

Undergraduate medicine fees

International students becoming a Permanent Resident or Australian Citizen

If you are an International Student who gains Australian Permanent Residency status or Australian Citizenship while studying the MD, you will still be required to pay full fees as outlined below.

Commonwealth Supported Positions are limited in each intake year of the MD and no further positions can be granted to students who gain their Permanent Residency or Australian Citizenship.

  • $6,055 per 10 credit points
  • $48,440 per 80 credit points (2019 rates)

Post-2009 undergraduate medicine fees

All domestic students who started the Doctor of Medicine (previously Bachelor of Medicine/Bachelor of Surgery) course in 2009 or later will be Commonwealth Supported Students. HECS-HELP may be available to eligible students.

Related links