Academic documents

We are going live with our new Student Management System on 6 October. To prepare for this change, academic documents will be unavailable from 7pm Sunday 26 September, we will update the website as soon as we have confirmation all systems are working.  We apologise we are unable to produce any documentation during this time and cannot provide an ETA.

COVID-19 UPDATE: In order to keep our staff safe, we have currently limited staff access to campus and document printing facilities. This may mean that there is a delay in processing of your order for printed academic documents. Please allow ample time for processing and delivery when placing your order.

Academic documents may be available as secure electronic documents or in hard copy.

If you require a Program Completion Letter for Visa purposes, you may still apply for a Program Completion Letter until 7pm Sunday 26 September. We will assess your application and update the completion date in MySR for you to include with your Visa application. Please allow up to 5 working days for the assessment of your records. The letter will be issued and posted to you as per above information

For posting of graduation documents from previous rounds are currently processed and posted once a fortnight when payment is received and if the documents are in our office.   If your documents are in archives these are only able to be process when all University staff return to campus and will be progressively posted out.

E-transcripts can still be issued until 7pm Sunday 26 September, which are a true reflection of your student study record at the time of ordering. If you require an e-transcript showing program completion, please order a course completion letter first. We will advise once we've assessed and updated your records so you can then apply for an e-transcript.

We are unable to accommodate any special and urgent requests due to the current restrictions in place and change in student system. We apologise for the inconvenience

Academic Document types

Academic transcript/record (electronic or hard copy available)

A copy of a student's academic record at the time of ordering, including subjects and results.
» How do I order my academic transcript/record?.

Australian Higher Education Graduation Statement (AHEGS) (electronic or hard copy available)

Provides information on a student's higher education qualification, including a record of all subjects undertaken within the specified degree/award, the institution where the qualification was obtained and the Australian higher education system in one easy-to-read document.
» » Can I get a replacement AHEGS?

Program completion letter (hard copy only)

A letter an external organisation may request which confirms a student has completed the necessary requirements to finish their degree and is eligible to graduate pending final approval from the School Academic Committee. A program completion letter can also be issued to confirm a student has graduated. A program completion letter is not required unless you have a request for one from an external organisation. 
» How do I apply for a program completion letter?

Replacement testamur  (hard copy only)

A replacement for the original certificate issued that confirms a student has been admitted to a particular degree or diploma by the academic institution which issues the certificate. Replacement Testamurs will be Western Sydney University Branded How do I apply for a replacement testamur?

Important information

  • Delays in processing your order will occur during system outage periods and peak activity periods for results and graduation
  • Make sure you read the terms and conditions carefully before ordering your documents as they contain important information about time-frames and expectations
  • Australian Higher Education Graduation Statements (AHEGS) are issued when you graduate (excluding Foundation studies students). If you want an academic transcript, you will need to order one separately
  • The University of Western Sydney officially rebranded as Western Sydney University on 30 August 2015. All degrees and other awards validly conferred by and under the previous name of 'The University of Western Sydney' continue to remain validly conferred and recognised as such
  • Replacement Testamurs will be Western Sydney University Branded

External institutions

  • AHEGS and academic transcripts/records: Check what you need to provide to external professional institutions for further education, registration, accreditation, employment or immigration purposes as requirements vary between institutions
  • It is your responsibility to check external institution's deadlines and order your documents with enough time to meet those deadlines
  • Do you need documents sent to an external body like DEC, AHPRA, UAC, Psychology Board, WES or QTAC? Check the Academic documents FAQ page for more information