- Applying to study
- New to Uni
- Important dates
- Fees and costs
- The Academy
- Services and facilities
- Online systems
- Student Misconduct Rule
- Semi Permanent Unlimited Live
- Western Digital Story Telling Project
Census date explained
Census date is the official deadline for finalising your enrolment and fees for each teaching term.
International Students: Effective from 1 January 2018, the due date for payment of fees by international students will be the commencement date of the relevant study term. The course commencement date is the date by which tuition fees for the study term must be paid; the Census date is the date when all your enrolment arrangements for the study term must be finalised.
Once this date has passed, you are committed to the units you're enrolled in. This means you will be charged tuition fees and receive a grade for all your enrolled units. If you drop any units after this date you will still need to pay tuition fees and will receive an absent fail grade.
If you don't provide your Tax File Number (TFN) or pay your fees by the census date, your enrolment will be cancelled.
What you need to do
By the census date for your teaching term, you need to:
- make sure you're happy with your units and want to continue studying every unit you're enrolled in
- have either provided your TFN (if you're eligible to defer your tuition fees) or
- have paid your fees in full. Payments cannot be accepted after this date
Note: If you're eligible to defer your fees, you can also pay some or all of your fees upfront. Find out more on the Paying your fees webpage.
Census checklist - make sure you're ready!
To make sure you're ready for census date each term, complete all items on the checklist:
- Check your enrolment in MyStudentRecords (MySR) (opens in a new window) and decide on the final units you want to study for the term
- Make sure your mobile number is correct in MySR (so we can contact you in urgent situations)
- Make sure you have provided your TFN (if eligible) or have paid your fees
Note: If the census date for a teaching term falls on a weekend, you will need to provide any required documentation to Student Central before 5:00pm on the last business day before the census date. Check the table below to find the census date for your teaching term.
Continuing students only
If you're considering taking a Leave of Absence for the term, you need to submit your 'Discontinuation or break from studies' form to Student Central by the census date. Find out more on the Applying for leave and resigning from your course webpage.
Students changing citizenship status only
Go to Student Central with either your citizenship certificate (if you are permanent resident becoming an Australian citizen) or your passport and visa (if you are an international student becoming a permanent resident). You will also need to complete a new electronic Commonwealth Assistance Form (eCAF) before the census date.
- Enrolment pages – instructions on how to add and drop units and apply for a Leave of Absence
- Fee pages – information on eligibility to defer your tuition fees, how to make payments and electronic Statements of Account and eCAFs
- Changing residency status page – 'how to' information and where to send certified copies of required documentation if you can't get to a Student Central
The census dates for each teaching term in 2021 are listed in the tables below:
- Standard terms
- College and International College Terms
- Summer term
- Block Teaching terms
- Sydney City Campus sessions
|2021||1st Half (1H)||31 March|
|2021||2nd Half (2H)||31 August|
|2021||Research 1 (R1)||31 March|
|2021||Research 2 (R2)||31 August|
|2021||Quarter 1 (Q1)||3 February|
|2021||Quarter 2 (Q2)||28 April|
|2021||Quarter 3 (Q3)||21 July|
|2021||Quarter 4 (Q4)||13 October|
|2021||Term 1 (T1)||31 March|
|2021||Term 2 (T2)||31 July|
|2021||Term 3 (T3)||30 November|
|2020/2021||Summer A||20 January|
|2021||Summer B||20 January|
|2021||Block Teaching A||14 January|
|2021||Block Teaching B||11 March|
|2021||Block Teaching C||6 May|
|2021||Block Teaching D||1 July|
|2021||Block Teaching E||26 August|
|2021||Block Teaching F||21 October|
|2021||Session 1||31 March|
|2021||Session 2||31 July|
|2021||Session 3||30 November|