- Applying to study
- New to Uni
- - Census dates
- - Closing dates
- - Upcoming Student Events
- - 2018 Academic year dateline
- - Postgraduate Mid-Year Closing Dates
- - 2017 Academic year dateline
- - 2016 Academic year dateline
- - 2015 Academic year dateline
- - 2014 Academic year dateline
- - 2013 Academic year dateline
- - 2012 Academic year dateline
- - 2011 Academic year dateline
- Fees and costs
- Services and facilities
- Online systems
- Exams and results
- Semi Permanent Unlimited Live
Census date explained
Census date is the official deadline for finalising your enrolment and fees for each teaching session.
Once this date has passed, you are committed to the units you're enrolled in. This means you will be charged tuition fees and receive a grade for all your enrolled units. If you drop any units after this date you will still need to pay tuition fees and will receive an absent fail grade.
If you don't provide your Tax File Number (TFN) or pay your fees by the census date, your enrolment will be cancelled.
Extended Census FAQs
What is Census?
Census occurs every session and is the deadline by which all enrolment and tuition fee matters must be finalised.
When is the Census Date?
The Census Date for Autumn/1H/Term1 and R1-2017 is usually 31 March each year.
What is the extended Census Date for 2017?
The extended Census Date for Autumn/1H/Term 1 and R1 is now midnight Monday 3 April, 2017.
I am enrolled with the Western Sydney College, will this affect me?
Yes, as a college student your Census Date of 31 March has been extended to midnight 3 April 2017.
Why is the Census Date being extended?
We have identified an issue with My Student Records (MySR) which is preventing students from entering their Tax File Number on the Commonwealth Assistance Form. This impacts students, eligible to defer fees via HECS, to finalise their instructions to the University on payment of tuition by the Census Date.
Is it all Census dates?
No, this is just an extension to the Autumn, Term 1, 1H and R1 session Census dates.
Is this for all students?
Yes, if you are enrolled in any of the sessions listed above the Census date will be extended for you too, regardless of whether this particular issue impacts you.
Does this mean I can still amend my enrolment up until 3 April 2017 for the sessions listed above?
You will be able to remove units from your enrolment up until midnight Monday 3 April 2017 through MySR. You will not be able to self-enrol into units for these sessions through MySR as the deadline for adding units was the end of the second week of session.
Does this mean I can make up-front payments until midnight Monday 3 April 2017?
Yes, as this is an extension of the Census Date you will be able to make up-front payments until midnight Monday 3 April 2017.
Who can I contact for more information about the Census Date extension?
You can contact Student Central on 1300 668 370.
What you need to do
By the census date for your teaching session, you need to:
- make sure you're happy with your units and want to continue studying every unit you're enrolled in
- have either provided your TFN (if you're eligible to defer your tuition fees) or
- have paid your fees in full. Payments cannot be accepted after this date
Note: If you're eligible to defer your fees, you can also pay some or all of your fees upfront. Find out more on the Paying your fees webpage.
Census checklist - make sure you're ready!
To make sure you're ready for census date each session, complete all items on the checklist:
- Check your enrolment in MyStudentRecords (MySR) (opens in a new window) and decide on the final units you want to study for the session
- Make sure your mobile number is correct in MySR (so we can contact you in urgent situations)
- Make sure you have provided your TFN (if eligible) or have paid your fees
Note: If the census date for a teaching session falls on a weekend, you will need to provide any required documentation to Student Central before 5:00pm on the last business day before the census date. Check the table below to find the census date for your teaching session.
Continuing students only
If you're considering taking a Leave of Absence for the session, you need to submit your 'Discontinuation or break from studies' form to Student Central by the census date. Find out more on the Applying for leave and resigning from your course webpage.
Students changing citizenship status only
Go to Student Central with either your citizenship certificate (if you are permanent resident becoming an Australian citizen) or your passport and visa (if you are an international student becoming a permanent resident). You will also need to complete a new electronic Commonwealth Assistance Form (eCAF) before the census date.
- Enrolment pages – instructions on how to add and drop units and apply for a Leave of Absence
- Fee pages – information on eligibility to defer your tuition fees, how to make payments and electronic Statements of Account and eCAFs
- Changing residency status page – 'how to' information and where to send certified copies of required documentation if you can't get to a Student Central
The census dates for each teaching session in 2016 are listed in the tables below:
|2017||Autumn Session||3 April|
|2017||Spring Session||31 August|
|2017||1st Half (1H) Session||3 April|
|2017||2nd Half (2H) Session||31 August|
|2017||Research 1 (R1) Session||3 April|
|2017||Research 2 (R2) Session||31 August|
|2017||Quarter 1 (Q1) Session31 January||31 January|
|2017||Quarter 2 (Q2) Session||24 April|
|2017||Quarter 3 (Q3) Session||17 July|
|2017||Quarter 4 (Q4) Session||9 October|
|2017||Term 1 (T1) Session||3 April|
|2017||Term 2 (T2) Session||31 July|
|2017||Term 3 (T3) Session||30 November|
|2016/2017||Summer A||9 January 2017|
|2016/2017||Summer B||9 January 2017|