Adding, dropping and changing units

You can add, drop or change units you are enrolled in, using the shopping cart system in MyStudentRecords (MySR).

To get to MySR, log into the Western Central Student Portal using your WesternAccount username (your student ID number) and password. Once you are in MySR, click the 'Enrolment' link in the 'Enrol' drop down menu at the top of the page. Then click the 'Units' tab which is red and is located towards the top/middle of the page.

You can alter your enrolment in units within a session up until the census date for that session.

Adding and changing units

To add a unit, enter the unit code into the 'Unit Code' field and click the 'Get Units' button. You will then see study options for the unit, such as location and teaching period. Select your choice and add it to your cart.

  • You can add units to your record using MySR until midnight on the Friday of the second week of session for most sessions^. After this date you need to complete a Rule Waiver eForm to add a unit.
    ^For Summer 1 and Summer 3, this deadline is midnight on the Friday of the first week of session.

When adding units consider course and unit rules, and check the timetable to make sure your units do not have lectures or tutorials that clash with each other.

Once you have made your selections, make sure all of the units are in your cart, then click 'Proceed to Check Out' and 'Confirm'.

If you wish to change your enrolment, go to back to 'Unit Selection' in MySR to add and delete units. You must click 'Confirm' for these changes to be registered.

^ Back to top

MySR unit page

Dropping units

Before the census date

You can use MySR to drop a unit up until midnight on the session census date. If you are an International student, you must remain enrolled in a full-time study load.

If you drop a unit or withdraw from your course before the session census date, you won't get a grade for that unit and you won't be liable for any related tuition fees or student contribution charges.

Withdrawing after the census date

To withdraw from a unit after the session census date, you must download and complete the 'Discontinue after census' section of a Discontinuation or break from studies form [PDF, 131Kb] (opens in a new window). You can also pick up this form from any Student Central.

When you withdraw from a unit after the session census date, you will receive an 'E' grade (Fail Discontinued) on your academic record and you will still be charged fees for the unit - either through direct charges or HECS-HELP.

If you are withdrawing after the session census date due to extenuating circumstances, you can apply to withdraw without academic penalty.

The last date to submit the Discontinuation or break from studies form [PDF, 131Kb] (opens in a new window) to discontinue after census is the Friday that is two weeks before the published start date of the exams for the session, which is listed in the 2016 Academic year dateline.

^ Back to top

Related links