Applying for leave or resigning from your program

Taking a Leave of Absence

A Leave of Absence is a temporary break from studying. Once you have completed one or more subjects in your enrolled program, you can apply for a Leave of Absence. A Leave of Absence can be taken as either six or twelve months. The maximum amount of leave you can take during your program is twelve months. Please note, you must submit your application before the relevant census date.

To apply for a Leave of Absence, you should complete the Discontinuation or break from studies form on WesternNOW

Once your Leave of Absence is approved, we will send a confirmation email from your WesternNOW ticket

Returning to study after your Leave of Absence

We recommend you seek academic advice before selecting your subjects of study when you return from a Leave of Absence. You must make sure you're registered before the start of the next teaching term.

Related links

Resigning from your program

Resigning from your program is ceasing study and means you won't be a Western Sydney University student. Before resigning, you must get advice from your Academic Course Advisor. You may also find it helpful to discuss your options with a University Counsellor.

Resignation from your program is managed through My Student Records. We will contact you about the application before it is finalised.

If you're an International student you'll still need to fill out the Resignation section of the Discontinuation or Break from Studies Application in WesternNow.

Make sure you lodge your application before the term census date to avoid academic and financial penalty.

Want to reapply after you have resigned?

If you have officially resigned from your studies at Western Sydney University, you must apply directly (opens in a new window) or through the Universities Admission Centre (UAC) (opens in a new window) for readmission.

You must lodge your application by the advertised closing date.

Related links

International students

You must be registered with a full time study load. If you want to take a Leave of Absence or interrupt your studies, you will need to contact your campus SEIS International Liason Officer.

Related links