The Australian Government contributes to the study costs for students enrolled in a Commonwealth Supported program. Students must then contribute the remainder through their student contribution.

If you are an Australian citizen or a holder of an Australian permanent humanitarian visa you have the following options:

Am I eligible?

HECS-HELP (opens in a new window) loans are available to undergraduate students who are Australian Citizens or holders of an Australian permanent humanitarian visa. Some postgraduate students may also be eligible, depending on the program they are enrolled in.

New Zealand citizens (with some exceptions - find out more on the Changes to fees for NZ citizens page) and holders of an Australian permanent resident visa (other than an Australian permanent humanitarian visa) are not eligible to defer their fees and must pay in full by the census date.

I want to request a HECS-HELP loan for my student contribution and repay the loan later

As part of your enrolment through My Student Records (MySR), you would have filled out an electronic Commonwealth Assistance Form (eCAF). You need to ensure you have lodged your tax file number on this form and that you have submitted this form, complete with valid tax file number, by the census date of the teaching term you are enrolled in.

Please double check your eCAF, as failure to provide full and accurate information and not making a payment could result in your enrolment being cancelled.

Upfront payments

If you have provided the University with a valid eCAF with  a valid TFN you can still choose to pay some or all of your fees upfront. All upfront payments must be made by the census date of the teaching term you are enrolled in. Any debt remaining after the census date will be deferred to the ATO as a HECS debt.

If you have not provided your TFN then you will need to pay the total amount of your fees for the relevant teaching term by the census date.

Upfront payment discount

Please note, that from 1 January 2023, there will no longer be a 10% discount for upfront payment for HECS-Help eligible students. This discount was available in 2021 and 2022 however the Australian Government has not extended this to 2023.

Australian permanent residents and New Zealand citizens

If you are an Australian permanent resident or New Zealand citizen and you become an Australian citizen before census date, you must present your original citizenship certificate to a Student Services Hub or forward a certified copy of your citizenship certificate to Enrolments, Locked Bag 1797, Penrith NSW 2751.

This must be done before the census date to be eligible for HECS-HELP.

Related links