Changes to fees for New Zealand Citizens

The Australian Government has passed new legislation that changes the way some New Zealand citizens, who hold a Special Category Visa (SCV), studying in Australia will pay their fees.

What are the changes?

New Zealand citizens, who meet the eligibility criteria can defer their tuition fees via a HECS-HELP or FEE-HELP loan.

This will also mean, if eligible, being able to defer your Student Services and Amenities Fee (SSAF) via SA-HELP.

What are the eligibility criteria?

Just being a New Zealand citizen or holding an SCV will not automatically entitle you to the changes.

You must meet all the following criteria:

  • first entered Australia as a dependent child aged under 18 years of age;
  • have been ordinarily resident in Australia for the previous 10 years (that is, you have been physically present in Australia for at least eight out of the past 10 years) and 18 months out of the last two years at the time of application for the loan; and
  • are otherwise eligible for the loan.

Detailed information about the legislation change and eligibility criteria is also available on the Government's Study Assist website (opens in a new window).

I think I'm eligible, what do I do?

You need to provide to us an 'International Movements Record' to prove you meet the residency and age requirements.

You can download the application form to get this from the Department for Immigration and Border Control's website (opens in a new window). This application form needs to be lodged with the Department of Immigration and Border Protection.

You will also need to provide proof of your New Zealand citizenship if you haven't done so already.

Once you receive this document, it will need to be emailed to To be assessed for the current term all documents need to be received prior to the census date.

Need help?

If you have any questions about these changes or need help with the process, please contact Student Central: