Travel concessions

What is a travel concession?

The NSW Government provides eligible tertiary students concession (cheaper) travel to help with the cost of public transport for trains, buses, ferries and light rail within the Opal network.

To access travel concessions you need a valid Concession Opal card.

Is every student eligible for travel concessions?

No. To see if you are eligible to receive travel concessions, refer to the guidelines on the Opal web page (opens in a new window). You can also get more information on the Concession fares page of the NSW Transport Opal web page (opens in a new window).

If you do not meet the eligibility criteria, you can purchase an Adult Opal card (opens in a new window).

How do I get my Concession Opal card?

Read the step by step instructions for how to get your Concession Opal card (opens in a new window).

Travelling outside the Opal network

If you are eligible for a travel concession and intend to travel outside the Opal network, you will need to get a new Transport Concession Entitlement Card (TCEC) (opens in a new window).

These cards will be available through Transport for NSW from 1 February 2017.

Have questions?

If you have any questions about travel concessions for Western Sydney University, please call the Student Infoline on 1300 668 370 or complete a Travel Concession enquiry form.

If you have any questions about how the Opal card works, please call 13 67 25 (13 OPAL).

Should you be an International student on an eligible scholarship as per the NSW Transport guidelines, to check refer to Opal web page (opens in a new window), part time student with a disability or a cross-institutional student  please complete a Travel Concession Request form