Special requirements

Special requirements are related to enrolment in programs/subjects where clinical, practical or work placements are part of a program/subject structure. These include programs/subjects in Education, Nursing and Social & Health related sciences.

Working with Children Check - WWCC

Students studying programs/subjects that involve working or contact with people under the age of 18 are required to complete and lodge a Working with Children Check Verification Number (WWCC) in accordance with the Commission for Children and Young People Act 1998.

You need to make an online application with the Office of the Children's Guardian (opens in a new window) and follow the steps as outlined.

Please note: if you are under 18 years of age, you are exempt from this process as you are still legally considered a child yourself. However, we still require you to comply so our system will allow you to enrol. You need to email enrolments@westernsydney.edu.au so we can amend your record. You will also be required to complete this check when you turn 18 and we will contact you at that time to remind you.

At the end of the application process, you will be issued with a receipt document with an application number (AAP). You need to take this document and photo ID to a Roads and Maritime Service (RMS) office. You will receive a verification letter from the RMS, which will include your verification number. Please allow up to four weeks for the verification letter.

You need to provide your verification letter to the University, by submitting this as an attachment using the Satisfy special requirements on registration form on WesternNow. Your verification number will be confirmed with the Office of the Children's Guardian and you will be advised of the outcome. Please note: receipt of a verification number does not indicate clearance to work with children.

If you receive clearance, your Western Sydney University student record will be updated and you will be advised by email that you can proceed with your enrolment. You may need to provide your verification letter to a placement authority, so please keep your original letter for future use.

For more information on the Working with Children Check Student Declaration, please visit the NSW Office of the Children's Guardian (opens in a new window) website.

National Police Check  (NPC)

There are 3 simple steps for completing the National Police Check:

1. Sign the Student Undertaking Sign the Student Undertaking form. This is available electronically in My Student Records (MySR) (opens in a new window) for commencing students. If you cannot complete the form electronically, the Student Undertaking form is available by downloading the Student Undertaking Form  PDF, 85.18 KB (opens in a new window) or from any Student Services Hub

2. Apply for a National Police Check After you have signed the Student Undertaking form, you will be required to undergo a National Police Check (opens in a new window) either through your state or territory police service or the Australian Federal Police. You should allow 15 working days for your check to be processed.

You will need to apply online through the NSW Police website or through an Australian Criminal Intelligence Commission (ACIC) accredited body (opens in a new window). 

When applying:

  • Make sure you are apply using your full legal name, and this should match your Student ID card
  • Complete the online National Police Check form by ensuring that all mandatory fields marked with an * are completed.
  • Print the confirmation page once the form is complete
  • Submit the confirmation page and proof of identity to a NSW Police station
  • Pay the appropriate fee either online at the time of application by credit card or in person at a NSW Police station when submitting your completed form and proof of identity.

You will need to apply in an appropriate time-frame to allow you to receive the certificate approximately three weeks before your placement. In order to ensure that you receive the certificate in time, you should apply no later than six weeks before your placement.

Failure to obtain a National Police Check will mean you will not be able to meet your enrolment requirements. This may result in you being unable to complete your registered subject/s, or your program.

For more information please see the NSW Police website (opens in a new window).

Students who require an NPC to undertake any NSW placement must also submit a copy as part of their NSW health student compliance assessment. Read the NSW Health Student Compliance Booklet for details on how to submit this separately.

3. Provide your National Police Check When you have received your National Police Check you must submit it via  Satisfy special requirements on registration form on WesternNow

Placement Requirements for any NSW Health facility

Students in certain programs or subjects must undergo the NSW Health compliance process to be able to participate in a NSW Health placement. Look up your program of study or subject in the Handbook entry to see if this requirement applies to you.

Read the NSW Health Student Compliance Booklet and complete the “four steps to compliance” in order to be assessed by NSW Health in your first year of enrolment.

Evidence of your COVID-19 vaccination can be lodged separately with your School via the WesternNOW form. More information about this requirement can be found on the NSW Health Public Health Orders and restrictions page

Information about where to submit this evidence and the assessment can be found in the Booklet or on the Student Compliance webpage.

Placement Requirements for an Aged Care Facility

The Department of Health and Ageing require all students attending any clinical placement in an Aged Care Facility get a National Police Check.  and evidence of COVID-19 vaccinations or an authorised exemption. Evidence of your COVID-19 vaccination can be lodged with your School via the WesternNOW form.

For further information on the  placement requirements for aged care facilities, please visit the Department of Health and Ageing and speak to your School.

International students attending a NSW Health placement are also required to obtain an Australian National Police Check and an International National Police Check. It will require an English translation, and cover your home country and any other country that you have lived aged 18 years and over.

The NSW Health Student Compliance Booklet will provide your with more information.

^ Back to top

First Aid Certificate

Students who are required to have a current First Aid certificate for enrolment purposes will need to:
  • Submit their original current First Aid certificate from a Registered Training Organisation (see National Training and Information System)  via Satisfy special requirements on registration form on WesternNow. The certificate must display one of the following unit codes; HLTAID011, HTLAID012, HLTAID014, HLTAID004, HLTAID006 and HLTAID003 for it to qualify as equivalent to Senior First Aid
  • A  Student Central Officer  will check the credentials and process the requirement on their student record
  • Check MySR approximately 48 hours later to ensure registration in the relevant subject has been confirmed

Note: You cannot enrol in the associated subject until this requirement has been validated.

For more information on First Aid Certificates, please visit the National Training Information Service website (opens in a new window) to check that your certificate has been issued by an approved provider.

Further information

If you have any other enquiries please email studentcentral@westernsydney.edu.au.

^ Back to top