- Applying to study
- New to Uni
- Important dates
- Fees and costs
- The Academy
Services and facilities
- - Student Central
- - Workshops, programs and online resources
- - Counselling Service
- - Disability Service
- - Student Welfare Service
- - Special Consideration
- - Student Legal Services
- - Chaplaincy
- - Student Representation & Participation
- - Student Academic Committees
- - International student support
- - Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander student support
- - Online student support
- - Student facilities
- - Support for Student Veterans
- Online systems
- Student Misconduct Rule
- Semi Permanent Unlimited Live
- Western Digital Story Telling Project
University Survival Guide
Around 70% of Australian university students rate their mental health as poor. This video has some quick ideas to help you manage anxiety.
Research has shown that self-discipline is a better predictor of academic performance than intelligence. Having a clear time management strategy is critical to your success as a student. This video gives some quick ideas on how to get organised.
Exam Memory Blanks
Ever have an experience of your mind going completely blank in an exam? This video explains why it happens and gives you some tips on how to handle it.
It's a myth that striving for perfection is motivating. Trying to be perfect usually leaves you feeling stressed, anxious and completely overwhelmed. This video has some ideas to help you let go of perfect.
Mindful breathing is a way of building resilience to stress, anxiety and anger. This brief animation steps you through a very basic mindful breathing exercise.
Study Money & Life Skills
The Study, Money & Life Skills vUWS site (opens in a new window) will help you increase your learning potential, develop personal awareness and assist with skills to manage your finances. It provides helpful information and resources for all students.
Find out how to:
- Plan your studies and prioritise your commitments
- Prepare for exams to manage those nerves
- Develop your public speaking skills
- Work well in teams
- Manage your finances
- Develop savings goals using the online budget planner
- Manage perfectionism
The Study, Money & Life Skills vUWS site has been developed by Student Support Services to help you get the most out of University – head over to the vUWS site (opens in a new window) and see what would be helpful to you.
Access to vUWS
'thedesk' (opens in a new window) is an online program that provides strategies and skills for success, resilience and wellbeing. While 'thedesk' is particularly useful who those who are feeling stressed, 'thedesk' is for all students, not just those who identify as having problems.
'thedesk' is founded on the premise that all students can be resilient and successful. Focusing on strengths with activities building on existing abilities of students, 'thedesk' offers free access to online modules, tools, quizzes and resources.
Does it work?
The program was developed in response to research showing:
- High prevalence rates of distress in students
- Psychological distress has significant impact on ability to study
- Psychological distress is associated with lower academic performance
- Students reporting that they are likely to use an online program for issues they are experiencing
'thedesk' was developed by Dr Helen Stallman (UQ), Professor David Kavanagh (QUT), and Associate Professor Alan Ralph (UQ) and funded by beyondblue (opens in a new window).