- Applying to study
- New to Uni
- Important dates
- Fees and costs
Services and facilities
- - Student Central
- - Workshops, programs and online resources
- - Counselling Service
- - Disability Service
- - Student Welfare Service
- - Special Consideration
- - Student Legal Services
- - Chaplaincy
- - Student Representation & Participation
- - Student Academic Committees
- - International student support
- - Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander student support
- - Online student support
- - Student facilities
- Online systems
- Exams and results
- Semi Permanent Unlimited Live
- Western Digital Story Telling Project
- Inside The Academy
English Conversation Groups
English Conversation Groups (ECG) are run by trained student volunteers in a fun and friendly environment on various WSU campuses. The program consists of five, weekly, one-hour sessions during Autumn and Spring sessions.
ECG aims to assist international students and local students from a non- English speaking background to develop:
- confidence in English conversation
- a friendship network and cross-cultural understanding
- knowledge of Australian slang and presentation skills
- a greater understanding of the University
ECG facilitation will challenge student volunteers and allow them to gain:
- leadership skills
- new friends and greater involvement in university life
- credit for ten hours of volunteer work (a requirement of the TESOL course and The Academy)
- a certificate of completion.
Participants and facilitators will also be invited to an end-of-session celebration where they’ll be in the running to win prizes.
How do I apply?
ECG sessions run from weeks 4 - 8 of Autumn and Spring sessions.
Please read the instructions below on how to register if you want to attend a conversation session.
How to register to an ECG session on Orgsync
- Visit Orgsync: https://orgsync.com/home/
- Select ‘Sign in with Western Sydney U ID’ button and use your student number and password to create an Orgsync account. Complete Orgsync registration form.
- From Orgsync homepage, search for ‘English Conversation Groups portal’
- Select ‘Join now’ green button
- Select ‘upcoming events: see all’
- Select ECG session preference. Select ‘Yes, register now’ green button
- Your facilitator will email you the location of your first session.
For enquiries, email firstname.lastname@example.org from your student email account.
You can also connect with us via our Orgsync (opens in new window) page.
"I really loved it. Being a management student, facilitating helped me to develop leadership skills relevant to my course." (Facilitator Spring, 2018)
"Becoming a facilitator helped me to improve my confidence… It’s rewarding to have this sort of contact with other students." (Facilitator Spring, 2018)
"I don’t feel lost anymore." (Participant Spring, 2018)
"The program successfully engages international students with non-English speaking backgrounds. (It) helps to improve confidence in speaking, effective communication, groupwork and discussion skills." (Participant Spring, 2018)
"As an international student who doesn’t have many friends in this country, this was a great opportunity to make new friends and practise presentation skills. We got to meet people from other courses too." (Participant Spring, 2018)