- Applying to study
- New to Uni
- Important dates
- Fees and costs
- The Academy
Services and facilities
- - Student Central
- - Workshops, programs and online resources
- - Academic Literacy Support
- - Counselling Service
- - Disability Service
- - Student Welfare Service
- - Special Consideration
- - Student Legal Services
- - Chaplaincy
- - Student Representation & Participation
- - Student Academic Committees
- - International student support
- - Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander student support
- - Student Stores
- - Online student support
- - Student facilities
- - Support for Student Veterans
- Online systems
- Student Misconduct Rule
- Semi Permanent Unlimited Live
- Western Digital Story Telling Project
English Conversation Groups
English Conversation Groups have now closed for Spring 2020.
Come by later for Autumn 2021!
About the program
English Conversation Groups (ECG) are run by trained student volunteers in a fun and friendly environment. The program consists of five, weekly, one-hour sessions during Autumn and Spring sessions.
ECG aims to assist international students and local students from a non-English speaking background to develop:
- confidence in English conversation
- a friendship network and cross-cultural understanding
- knowledge of Australian slang and presentation skills
- a greater understanding of the University
ECG facilitation will challenge student volunteers and allow them to gain:
- leadership skills
- new friends and greater involvement in university life
- credit for ten hours of volunteer work (a requirement of the TESOL course and The Academy)
- a certificate of completion.
Participants and facilitators will also be invited to an end-of-session celebration where they’ll be in the running to win prizes.
How do I apply?
Our Spring 2020 is closed. Please come by later for Autumn 2021 registration!
Email any queries here
"I really loved it. Being a management student, facilitating helped me to develop leadership skills relevant to my course." (Facilitator Spring, 2018)
"Becoming a facilitator helped me to improve my confidence… It’s rewarding to have this sort of contact with other students." (Facilitator Spring, 2018)
"I don’t feel lost anymore." (Participant Spring, 2018)
"The program successfully engages international students with non-English speaking backgrounds. (It) helps to improve confidence in speaking, effective communication, groupwork and discussion skills." (Participant Spring, 2018)
"As an international student who doesn’t have many friends in this country, this was a great opportunity to make new friends and practise presentation skills. We got to meet people from other courses too." (Participant Spring, 2018)