Transfer FAQs

Find out more about:


Can I use a Course variation application instead of applying through MySR?

No, course variation applications are used to 'vary' your course. If you want to transfer to a new course entirely you need to complete an application form via UAC or Western's Direct Portal for the course you wish to study. The exception are those students who are graduating and have been directed by staff to fill out the Course variation application or those transferring from a combined degree into a single degree. If you are eligible to apply for the new course via UAC or Western's Direct Portal, we will not process your transfer request via a Course variation form.

Who is the Director of Academic Program for the course I want to transfer to?

To find out the Director of Academic Program and/or Academic Course Advisor for the course you wish to transfer into, look up that course in the Western Sydney University Handbook.

Application process

What is the advantage of applying to transfer through the University rather than through UAC?

If you apply for a transfer online through the University there is no application fee. You may even receive an offer before applicants who apply through UAC do. Your application is assessed in the same way as it would be if you applied through the UAC, so an online application to transfer is a much better option. Non-Western Sydney University students cannot apply through this transfer form.

What happens if I submit more than one application?

We will only assess your most recent application. Submitting a new transfer application will cancel all applications that you have submitted previously this session. If you have already submitted an application and wish to add or change your preferences, just submit a new application with all of your preferences in the correct order and this will replace your previous application.

If we have already made you an offer to transfer to another course this session, and you submit a new transfer application, your previous offer will be withdrawn.

I have failed a subject, will this affect my chances of transferring?

If you have failed a subject it won't necessarily affect your application as your whole academic history is taken into account. Work on getting your GPA as high as possible, as this may be taken into account when your application is assessed.

Will the units I'm studying this session be taken into account?

It depends; if we are able to make a decision based on your prior study, we will not need to wait for the results from your current session before making an offer. If not we will put your application 'on hold' until the results for your current session results are released.

How long will it take before I know the outcome of my application?

It depends on your circumstances and how many applications we receive. We start assessing applications as soon as the transfer portal is open and will start advising students of the outcome of their applications within a few weeks.

Please note, a lot of factors can impact how quickly your application is assessed (including if we have to wait on your current session results to be released), so some applications can take several weeks to process.

How will I find out if my application has been successful?

We will send an email to your MyMail (student email) account letting you know the outcome of your application.

What if I change my mind about transferring?

Email and let us know that you want to withdraw your application.

My current course

Should I keep studying in my current course?

Yes, you should continue to study your current units. Once the census date for the teaching session has passed, you are liable for fees for your units and will receive a grade for any units you are enrolled in.

My application is 'on hold'

Why are you waiting for my current session results?

If we are waiting on your current session results it means you don't currently meet the minimum requirements for entry into your new course. However, your current session results may improve your GPA and mean you may then be eligible for an offer. We will let you know the outcome of your 'on hold' application as soon as possible.

How long do I have to wait after results are released to find out if my 'on hold' application is successful?

It may be a few days before you receive notification of the outcome of your application as we usually have a large number of applications to re-assess. We understand the urgency of re-enrolling after results release so we will let you know as soon as possible.

After receiving an offer

Why can't I enrol in units in my new course?

You can only enrol in your new course after you receive your confirmation email. Once you have received your confirmation email, complete the enrolment steps for your new course in MySR and you will be able to add units.

If a unit you want to enrol in has a prerequisite that you have completed in your old course, you will need to apply for Advanced Standing. While your Advanced Standing application is being processed, you will need to lodge an online Rule Waiver request in order to add the unit to your new course in MySR.

Can I defer my offer?

No, you can't defer your offer unless you have been excluded from study at Western Sydney University after you received your transfer offer. In this situation, you won't be charged a fee to defer your offer.

Can I take a Leave of Absence instead of enrolling in my new course straight away?

Yes you can. You will need to submit a Discontinuation or break from studies (PDF, 84.51 KB) (opens in a new window) to Student Central- this form should be used to apply for a Leave of Absence (take a break), discontinue (drop out of) units after census or, for International students only, resign from your course. Since July 2017 domestic students can request to discontinue their course through MySR (opens in a new window) under Course Records. For more information, visit Applying for leave and resigning from your course (opens in a new window).