Register to graduate
Western Sydney University graduations have changed, we currently have two completion rounds a year (being April/May and September) - this is where your student record will be assessed for completion and if complete documents printing and posted out to you (once payment has been made)
The event side of completion is held at different times and run by a different business unit - further details will be available shortly, if you have questions in relation to the event please contact email@example.com. Any questions on the completion of your student record or posting of documents please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
How to register for Course Completion
If you have outstanding course completion requirements, you still need to continue on to register for course completion prior to the advertised closing date - refer to graduation deadlines. If you are enrolling in units for your final session of study, it’s time toregister for graduation! Applications to register for completion close before exams and results are released. Please register early and do not wait until your student record is complete, register when enrolling in your last session of study units (the registration process will not stop you from registering regardless if you are complete or not). If capacity is reached for any round, we will close registrations early with no exceptions for inclusion.
If you are registering and there appears to be something missing, please continue to register advising all details are correct and then email email@example.com with any enquiries. You will however need to make sure all requirements are finalised and appear in MySR by the relevant deadline. Your eligibility to graduate is dependent on you meeting all course requirements by the advertised deadlines. For more information go to the How to: Check your course progress page.
Please use a desktop or laptop to register (no other electronic devices). Please remember to check for your confirmation email. If you do not receive this email instantaneously upon submitting your registration, please contact graduations at firstname.lastname@example.org immediately (and within the application opening period)
1. In My Student Records (MySR), go to the 'Graduate' section and select 'My Graduation Application', then the red 'Register' button.
2. Select the course you wish to graduate from.
- At this point you may be directed through to the Check your course progress pages. Here you can
- Check you have completed all course requirements
- Check the correct specialisations (key program, major and/or sub-major) are listed. You can check the specialisation requirements for your course in the Handbook. Your Director of Academic Program can clarify any details. If a specialisation you have completed is not listed, update this information in the specialisations selection page in MySR or email graduations@westernsydney,edu.au if you are encountering problems however continue to register. If you have no specialisations please move through this page and select "yes" correct on last page
3. Complete the graduation registration form
- Check your formal name details for your graduation documentation.
- Check your course name is correct and your specialisations are listed.
- If a specialisation you have completed is not listed, update this information in the specialisations selection page in MySR. If you have not registered your specialisations in MySR they will not be assessed and will not appear on your documentation. If you are having trouble with your specialisations continue to register selecting "yes" they are correct then email email@example.com advising us what you want to add / remove.
- Finish your registration by clicking 'Register'.
- You will receive an automatic MyGraduation email receipt to your student email account. If you do not receive this email instantaneously upon submitting your registration, please contact graduations at firstname.lastname@example.org immediately (and within the application opening period).
You will need to register before the advertised registration closing date. No late registrations are considered. Do not wait until you've completed your course, finished all exams and assessments or have your results or you may miss out on a round you were eligible for and have to wait for a future round.
4. Complete your registration by making your RSVP graduation payment
Registration points to note:
- After you register your eligibility for completion will be assessed. You will find out if you are eligible to complete as per the deadlines.
- The event is completely separate to course completion now and all documents are now posted, no documents are handed out on stage. Event details will be provided separately
- Financial encumbrances (outstanding fees, debts and fines, including library fees) must be paid by 5pm on the relevant deadline or you will not be able to graduate.
- Check that your mobile number is correct as we may need to contact you about your graduation
- We will send all communication to your student email, so check this regularly so you don't miss important graduation information and make sure you comply with the Advertised graduation deadlines
- If you experience any issues accessing or completing the online graduation form, contact email@example.com for assistance. Please note that you must notify graduations prior to the registration closing date, as late applications will not be considered under any circumstance
- The ceremony dates shows the date range - There are many factors taken into consideration when allocating ceremonies, we are unable to take personal preferences into consideration, you will be allocated a ceremony which is unable to be changed.
How do I know if I have registered correctly?
I missed the registration date, can i still apply?
Can I leave my course early?
Some courses allow for what is referred to as an early exit. An early exit is an official exit point from a course and is often in the form of a lower qualification e.g. graduate diploma or graduate certificate.
If you have completed a significant proportion of your course and you want to finish your studies early, you may be eligible to register for an early exit. Not all courses offer an early exit point, to find out if your course does look up your course information in the Handbook.
If you take an early exit you are unable to return to complete your original course.Double degree students
If you are enrolled in a double degree and wish to graduate from the first component of the degree, you are not considered as taking an early exit.
If you want to have the first component of your degree conferred before the other, you will need to register twice. Refer to your course in the Handbook to review your course's early exit conditions.
You can graduate with both degrees at the same time, receive two certificates (testamurs) and cross the stage once with both award titles read out. For this to happen you must complete a single registration to graduate for the double degree in MySR.Bachelor and standalone honours degrees
You can register to graduate from both your bachelor and honours degrees. You don't need to wait until you have completed your honours degree to graduate from your bachelors. Generally, graduands prefer to attend their honours ceremony and have their bachelor's degree awarded in absentia.
When can I register to graduate?
Registrations are open at different times throughout the year.
All undergraduate and postgraduate students (excluding Higher Degree Research students) must register for completion. You can register anytime, we suggest when you are enrolling in your last session of study (as long as registrations are open) as defined by the relevant rules of the course in which you are enrolled in. Please do not wait until you've completed your course or finished exams and assessments or have your results or you will miss out on a round you were eligible for and have to wait for a future round.
Failure to lodge a registration or failure to pay any fees/charges owing will result in the student not have their award conferred at the next available round.
Attend or graduate in absentia
- Graduate in attendance
Once you have been assessed and approved to graduate, your course will be allocated a ceremony. There are many factors taken into consideration when allocating ceremonies, we are unable to take personal preferences into consideration, you will be allocated a ceremony which is unable to be changed. Graduation ceremonies are held at Parramatta (South) campus - Corner Victoria Road & James Ruse Drive, Rydalmere, NSW. You will need to attend your allocated ceremony and wear University approved regalia associated with your award (The University welcomes religious attire; just be mindful that regalia needs to sit comfortably over the top). During the ceremony your award will be conferred to you by the Chancellor, or his representative, and you cross the stage in front of your family and friends to be presented with your documents
- Graduate in absentia
'In absentia' is Latin for 'in the absence'. If you choose to graduate in absentia, your award will be conferred in your absence and your documents will be sent to you after the graduation ceremonies have concluded and payment has been received.
Changing details on your registration
You can change your graduation preferences while the registration period is open by clicking 'Update' or 'Modify' on the graduation registration form in MySR.
Please note: After registrations have closed, the status will be updated to "In Progress" and you will have limited access to the online form. The status will remain as "In Progress" until ceremony details are sent. If you wish to make changes, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Cancelling your registration
If you have registered to graduate and wish to withdraw from the upcoming graduation round, you must email email@example.com with your name, student ID number, your graduation ceremony details (if you've received them) and your reason for withdrawing (withdrawals are only valid in writing).
You will need to withdraw in writing before the advertised deferral date listed on the graduation deadlines webpage. If your request for withdrawal is not received by the cut-off date, you will be graduated in absentia in the current round of ceremonies. Your 'graduated' status cannot be reversed as official documentation and auditable publications are printed.
Withdrawals are not reversible. Once you withdraw you will need to register for the next graduation round. To find out when registrations open for the next graduation round, keep checking the graduation webpage
Your request for withdrawal will not be actioned if you completed your study 6 months prior and have not yet graduated.
Deferring your registration
If you have registered to graduate and want to defer your graduation you will need to email firstname.lastname@example.org with your name, student ID number and your reason for deferring. Deferrals are only accepted in writing and prior to the advertised deadline.
Deferment is only for extenuating circumstances. You must provide a valid reason for deferring.
You will need to defer before the date listed on the graduation deadlines webpage. If your request for deferral is not received by the cut-off date, you will be graduated in absentia in the current round of ceremonies. Your 'graduated' status cannot be reversed as official documentation and auditable publications are printed.
You can only defer your graduation ceremony once. The maximum period of deferral is until the next set of graduation ceremonies (excluding December). If any circumstances arise that mean you are unable to attend your deferred graduation ceremony, you will have to graduate in absentia. Deferrals are not reversible.
If you have successfully deferred your graduation, you do not need to pay any fees for the current graduation period. Information will be sent to you in due course about the next round of ceremonies.
Higher Degree Research students (Doctorates and Masters Honours excluding Master of Teaching (Honours))
You are not required to register online to graduate in MySR as this will be completed by the Graduate Research School. Contact email@example.com for enquiries. However, it is important your refer to the graduation deadlines webpage to familiarise yourself with important dates and when communication will be sent.
Master of Teaching (Honours) students
You are required to register through MySR during the registration period. If you are unsure if this is relevant to you please contact the Graduation team via firstname.lastname@example.org.
Western Sydney University, The College students
The College Diploma Students must register in MySR to graduate. If you are a Foundations Studies student, you are not required to register in MySR for graduation. For enquiries regarding Foundation Studies graduation ceremonies, please contact Cassy Magnoli via email C.Magnoli@westernsydney.edu.au.