- Applying to study
- New to Uni
- Important dates
- Fees and costs
- Services and facilities
- Online systems
- Exams and results
- Semi Permanent Unlimited Live
Student email news
- Your access to student email has been streamlined! When you access email from MyWestern, you will only enter your ID and password once.
- Student email addresses has changed to @student.westernsydney.edu.au' in line with the new University name.
Some important things to note:
- If you use native email client on Android you will need to change your configuration settings. Full instructions are available in the IT Service Portal
- If you use native email client on iOS (iPad or iPhone) you will need to change your configuration settings. Full instructions are available in the IT Service Portal
- This change won't affect your inbox or email history
- Emails sent to your old student email address ('@student.uws.edu.au') will be redirected to your new student email address
- If you are using your old student email address as ID/username on external online services (e.g. iTunes, Dropbox), you should not experience any disruption from your email address change
- If you have set up your student emails to auto-forward to a personal email account you will need to ensure your student emails are not captured by SPAM/Junk filters in your personal account
- If you have previously registered with your old student email account to use Lynda.com, you will need to use your new email address as your username for Lynda.com from 3 April
- New Student Advantage features are now available.
Why you need to use your student email account
Email is the official communication channel between you and the University. That means you must use your student email account when contacting us by email and we will use it to send you important information. As a condition of your enrolment, you must check your student email account regularly. We recommend you check your student email daily during teaching session and weekly out of session.
Activation and access
Your email account will automatically be activated when you create your WesternAccount. This is one of the steps you complete when enrolling for the first time.
You can access your student email via MyWestern.(opens in a new window) The Student email link is in the left hand column once you're logged in. You can also set up your student email on your iPad, tablet or smart phone by following the instructions on the 'How do I access my student email with an iPad' webpage .
Your student email system is managed by the University and hosted by Microsoft's Office 365. Your student email has 25GB of online mailbox storage space, can send up to 100 attachments per email with a total size limit of 10MB and allows you to automatically forward your Western Sydney emails to a personal or work account so you don't have to access multiple accounts.
If you are auto-forwarding your emails, remember that you must use your Western Sydney student email account when contacting us by email.
Your student email is compatible with:
- Internet Explorer version 8 or later, Firefox and Safari
- Exchange ActiveSync, IMAP4 and POP3 email connections
- Outlook 2007 or later
Auto-forwarding your emails
There are some things you need to be aware of if you do auto-forward your student emails:
- You must always use your student email address when contacting the University by email. University staff can only accept and respond to emails sent from official Western Sydney University student email addresses, as it's how we can be sure we're communicating with you and that your privacy is maintained.
- It is also highly recommended that you set your private account to always respond to incoming University mail by using your connected student email address.
- Forwarding University emails to a non-university email account will be at your own risk. We are not responsible for the handling of email by other email service providers and do not guarantee delivery to forwarding addresses and we do not monitor and/or manage undeliverable messages.
- We also strongly recommend that you check your student email inbox on a regular basis to ensure mail is being received and forwarded and that your storage capacity has not reached its limit.
Policies you need to know
As a Western Sydney University student, you have certain responsibilities including your use of email. The IT Acceptable Use of Resources Policy and Email Policy are the two main policies you need to read.
There may be other relevant University policies, so it's a good idea to be for you to be familiar with, so make sure you have a look at the policies for students.