- Mental Health & Wellbeing Strategy
- Promoting Health
- Mental Health & Wellbeing resources
- Mental Health & Wellbeing training
- Contact the Mental Health & Wellbeing team
R U OK? Day
R U OK? Day is being celebrated across campuses on Thursday 31 August
What is R U OK?
This year RU OK? Day officially falls on 14 September. At Western we are starting the conversation early with event being hosted across campus on 31 August. R U OK? is an organisation committed to helping reduce distress by empowering people to make a difference, encouraging open and honest conversation, while driving a real connection between people. The organisation's aim is to inspire all Australians to recognise that they can make a positive impact by connecting with their friends, colleagues and loved ones.
R U OK Day is an initiative of the R U OK? Foundation and supports the Australian Government's National Suicide Prevention Strategy. The national campaign aims to encourage everyone to start a conversation by asking their friends, family and colleagues "Are you OK?"
This simple but powerful question lets the people in our lives know that they are important to us, and helps to create a sense of connectedness for all in the community.
Each year, more than 2,300 Australians suicide and an estimated 65,000 people attempt suicide each year. Suicide is the biggest killer of Australians aged 15 to 34 years. R U OK? Day is an essential part of the effort to reduce these figures by encouraging meaningful conversations with friends, family and colleagues.
R U OK? Day @ Western
Western Sydney University has an ongoing commitment to the health, welfare and safety of all our staff and students. We believe small steps can make a difference and the University hosts events to encourage staff and students to start a conversation.
In 2017, R U OK? Day campus events are being coordinated by the Mental Health and Wellbeing Promotions Team and their Student Ambassadors in partnership with Campus Life, Work, Health and Safety Unit, Food Services and Student Volunteers.
We invite all staff and students to join our campus events and start the conversation!
Join a campus event
This year, we are starting the conversation early with events across our campus on 31 August.
On Thursday 31 August from 11am, Campus Life Teams will be hosting a free healthy lunch for staff and students across all campuses. Campus Life Officers will be joined by Mental Health and Wellbeing Student Ambassador and Volunteers who will be encouraging staff and students to:
- engage in meaningful conversations with your peers, and
- take part in our mindfulness activities designed and delivered by our Mental Health and Wellbeing Student Ambassadors and Student Volunteers
Locations of the RU OK? Day Campus Events are as follows:
- Bankstown: Outside Building 1
- Campbelltown: Outside Building 6 (in front of Bobbies Café
- Hawkesbury: Stable Square
- Kingswood: Between Building K and P (paved student area)
- Parramatta South: The Hub Precinct
- Parramatta City Campus: Level 1
- Nirimba: Between Building U10 and U11
Host an R U OK? Day staff team event
Register for an R U OK? Day staff morning tea pack for 14 September!
The University encourages staff to take the time to connect with colleagues by hosting a morning or afternoon tea within your Unit/School and ask, 'Are you ok?'
To support these conversations, Work, Health and Safety have sponsored a limited number of FREE RU OK? Day staff packs. Packs contain an assortment of bagels, fresh fruit and yogurt, slices, as well as a chocolate mindfulness kit, and useful mental health and wellbeing resources.
RU OK? Day Staff Packs will be provided to the first 10 teams per campus, to register their morning/afternoon tea. To register for a pack, please email Jess Nour and register your RU OK Day Staff morning tea.
RU OK? Day – Extended Promotion
The RU OK? Day @ Western initiative encourages the continuations of conversations, that why we are making every month RU OK? Day month!
Each year, RU OK? Day is celebrated on the second Thursday in September. To support continued conversations on campus, the Mental Health and Wellbeing Promotions Team has partnered with Western Food Service to ensure an RU OK? Day presence every month until the end of 2017.
From the second Thursday in September, 14 September (official RU OK? Day) and for the second Thursday of October, November and December, we invite you to 'keep the conversation going'. Check in with a friend, peer, colleague and take them for a cuppa and we will buy their cuppa for you, with our buy one get one free RU OK? Day cuppa* promotion.
*Valid for one regular cup of coffee/tea at participating Western Food Service outlets.
Useful Tips for asking 'R U OK'?
- Ask: "Are you OK?", making sure to let the person know that you have time to talk.
- Listen: Be open-minded, non-judgmental and patient.
- Encourage: Make suggestions that encourage physical health, self-care and professional help, if required.
- Follow-up: Stay in touch. Genuine care and concern can make a real difference
- More useful tips on asking RU OK? can be found on the R U OK? How to Ask website (opens in a new window)
- For more R U OK? Day information and resources about R U OK? Day, visit the R U OK Day webpage. (opens in a new window)
- For useful services and resources, please visit the Mental Health and Wellbeing Resources webpage.
- To learn more about Free, confidential counselling available to all students, please visit the Counselling Service page or call 02 9852 5199 to make an appointment
- To learn more about the Employee Assistance Program, please visit Employee Assistance Program.
- For more information on the RU OK? Day @Western initiatives at Western, please contact Rowena Saheb, Mental Health and Wellbeing Promotions Coordinator.