The Mental Health and Wellbeing Team
The Mental Health and Wellbeing Team (MHWBT) sits within the Office of People, Equity Diversity Safety and Wellbeing Portfolio. The team consists of professionally qualified practitioners working to systemically support the WSU community.
Our mission is simple: supporting staff, supporting students.
The Mental Health and Wellbeing Team champion the key values of the Office of People and the Equity, Diversity, Safety and Wellbeing portfolio and ensure service delivery aligns to these values contributing to the overall student experience.
Members of the MHWB team embrace a strength-based model of practice that prioritise the following principles:
- cultural learning
- person centred
- capacity and resilience building
- working in partnership
- academic progression
With a focus on student and staff engagement and co-design, the Mental Health and Wellbeing Team aims to develop University-wide relationships and create student focused opportunities for engagement in the prevention and promotion of positive mental health and wellbeing initiatives.
The Mental Health & Wellbeing Team will:
- Promote positive mental health and wellbeing.
- Promote a positive learning environment and culture that respects diversity.
- Support student progression at university through early intervention in response to a person's mental health needs, and where appropriate advocate for students’ needs and support outcomes to be realised.
- Promote a positive working environment for Western Staff, who are supporting students.
- Facilitate the implementation of mental health guidelines for best practice within tertiary education.
- Utilise research and evaluation to promote positive mental health and wellbeing outcomes.
The team has various functions including mental health and wellbeing promotion, prevention, early identification of needs and responding to complex issues and risk. Consultation with staff is a core role of the MHWBT. We aim to provide early intervention and consultation to staff; to assist in recognising and managing complex student behaviours and respond to crises and critical incidents.
Wellbeing Services can be reached on 1300 668 370 (option 4 then 1).
The Wellbeing Teams include Counselling, Welfare, Disability Services and the Mental Health and Wellbeing Team.