Professor Kai Yip Cho Memorial Undergraduate Scholarship
Scholarship Type: Equity
Scholarship Group: B
- $7,500 per year for duration of degree*
*full-time, or part-time equivalent
Applicants must meet the following eligibility criteria:
- Australian Citizen, Permanent Resident, or eligible New Zealand Citizen**
** Eligible New Zealand Citizen includes students who meet the criteria for HECS-HELP or FEE-HELP. Further details available here: Changes to fees for New Zealand Citizens | Western Sydney University
- new or continuing student
- any undergraduate degree that includes Biochemistry (Majors: T084, T053, T086, T125) and/or Microbiology (Minor: 0105):
- Bachelor of Advanced Medical Science (3758)
- Bachelor of Advanced Science (3757)
- Bachelor of Medical Science (3755)
- Bachelor of Science (3754)
- Bachelor of Science (Pathway to Teaching Primary/Secondary)(3756)
- Diploma in Science/Bachelor of Medical Science (6042)
- Diploma in Science/Bachelor of Science (6043)
- Bachelor of Science/Bachelor of Arts (3763)
- Bachelor of Science/Bachelor of Laws (2743)
- Bachelor of Science/Bachelor of Laws (Honours) (2832)
- Diploma in General Science (exit only) (7185)
To fulfil the Biochemistry aspect, the following majors include the subject BIOS 2042 Biochemistry:
- Anatomy and Physiology (T084)
- Biology (T053)
- Biomedical Science (T086)
- Human Nutrition (T125)
- demonstrate financial or other hardship as assessed by the Universities Admissions Centre (UAC)
- be achieving a GPA of 5 or above or an ATAR of 85 and above.
- Contact Prof. Bill Price to discuss your eligibility, the scholarship requirements and your intention to apply.
Professor Kai Yip Cho
The Professor Kai Yip Cho Memorial Scholarship was first established in 2009 through a gift from Professor Cho’s family. Mrs Cho and her family created this scholarship to honour Professor Cho’s lifelong work and research in microbiology and mushrooms. Professor Cho’s academic legacy continues through this Scholarship at WSU. WSU is proud to support this scholarship through matching gifts with the Cho family.
(Jointly funded by the Cho Family Endowment Fund and Western Sydney University)
Application and Selection Process
Applications are to be submitted through the Universities Admissions Centre. Shortlisted applicants, as determined by the UAC Equity Ranking, may be required to make a written submission in support of their application.
Shortlisted applicants will be asked to provide a statement in support of their application indicating how they believe the scholarship will assist them with their studies and in their future career. This statement should give a sufficient explanation of the applicant's background and current circumstances to enable the University to judge their eligibility and merit. Applicants should outline how their work relates to microbiology and/or biochemistry.
Final round applicants will be required to take part in an interview.
Further information and how to apply can be found on our Equity Scholarship page.
Continuing Eligibility Criteria
- Recipients must remain enrolled at Western.
- Recipients must maintain a minimum GPA of 5.