- Our People
- Engineering Courses
- Built Environment Courses
- Engagement, News and Events
- Solar Car Website
- - Centre for Infrastructure Engineering
- - Centre for Advanced Manufacturing Technology
- - Intelligent Infrastructure Engineering
- - Renewable Energy And Water
- - Urban Transformation
- - Advanced Manufacturing
- - Future Materials
- - Advanced Technologies For Human Machine Interface
- - Digital Systems And Design
- - Centre for Smart Modern Construction
- Work Integrated Learning
- Contact the School
- Higher Degree Research
- Alumni and Industry
- Women Transforming the Built Environment
- Dean's Merit List Recipients
- Indigenous Strategic Plan
The mission of SET is the development of novel systems (materials and devices) for solar energy conversion that are based on oxide semiconductors.
The mission also includes education in the area of sustainable energy. The R&D program is focused on the development of photocatalysts for water purification using solar energy and photoelectrodes for the generation of solar-hydrogen fuel.
The program also involves the development of oxide semiconductors for a wide range of environmentally friendly applications, such as antiseptic, anti-fungi and self-cleaning coating as well as chemical gas sensors for pollution and greenhouse gases.
The research strategy aims at understanding the effect of light on reactivity of oxide semiconductors with water leading to partial and total water oxidation.