Project Management Office
The Project Management Office (PMO) is a single, central support structure designed to provide assistance to change related projects across the University. The PMO provides a variety of support to either individual projects, or a series of projects (a program), across the organisation allowing for the successful execution and implementation of projects.
In the current environment where there is a significant amount of change occurring in the University, having a centralised PMO negates the need to replicate support arrangements each time a project is initiated and this helps the University manage change more efficiently. The key benefits of having a centralised PMO function are that it:
- Provides for the centralised control and management of key projects that affect more than one area of the University (it helps bridge the 'silos' within the University and ensures that areas collaborate effectively)
- Allows operational managers to maintain their focus and not be distracted by the need to drive and manage change related projects
- Provides for organisation-wide standards and processes
- Provides senior management with important information on progress, costs and resources. This helps with key decision making
- Allows for the lessons learned from one project to be adopted and applied to the next initiative