- Events, Workshops and Programs
- Resources by Discipline
Support and Resources by Topic
- - Statistics Help (General)
- - Statistics Help (R Commander)
- - Arithmetic
- - Standard Derivatives
- - Standard Integrals
- - Hyperbolic Trigonometric Functions
- - Remainders and Quotients
- - SPSS Help
- - Logic Basics: AND, OR, NOT
- - Approximations: rounding and truncation
- - Mathematical Terminology
- - Proportional Reasoning
- - Number Sense
- - I Don't Get It
- - Percentages
- Contact the MESH team
- MESH Research
- Resources for Staff
Combining Operators $ + - \times \div$
Using the rules for order of operations, multiplication and division come before addition and subtraction.
Division and multiplication have the same importance, and are performed left to right.
Addition and subtraction have the same importance, and are performed left to right.
Example 1 Select the correct answer to the following equation: $$6+4\times 3=$$
Example 2 Select the correct answer to the following equation: $$24\div 4\times 2=$$
Example 3 Select the correct answer to the following equation $$12+18\div 6-3$$
Got the hang of these examples? Try these questions.