- Events, Workshops and Programs
- Disciplines using Maths
Support and Resources
- - Statistics Help
- - Arithmetic
- - Standard Derivatives
- - Standard Integrals
- - Hyperbolic Trigonometric Functions
- - Remainders and Quotients
- - SPSS Help
- - Logic Basics: AND, OR, NOT
- - Approximations: rounding and truncation
- - Mathematical Terminology
- - Proportional Reasoning
- - Number Sense
- - I Don't Get It
- Contact the MESH team
- MESH Research
- Resources for Staff
Support and Resources
Western Sydney University provides a range of support services for students. These include free counselling, tips for new students and mature age students returning to study; and help with academic skills needed for study at university.
- Mathematics Events, Workshops, Programs are available to current students
- Mathematical and Statistical Consulting is available from the Centre for Research in Mathematics and Data Science. This is a free service for staff and research students of Western Sydney University.
- Starting at Western Sydney University (opens in a new window) - This site provides a range of information for students 'new' to university. Information for first-in-family students, mature-age students, indigenous students , international students, students with a disability and students who have already completed a VET qualification is contained here.
- Services and Facilities - This site contains links to all the services and facilities available to current students.
- Library - Need help with referencing, academic skills, researching techniques or just want to borrow a book – the Western Sydney University Library can help.
- Visit the Library Study Smart website to develop your skills in understanding assignment questions, research, critical thinking, writing, time management, goal setting, academic integrity, and more.
For a comprehensive list of the Services and Facilities, refer to the Western Sydney University Students page.
MESH is developing a series of resources to assist students with commonly encountered mathematical and statistical problems. These include:
- Statistics Help - A series of videos which explain how to complete a number of commonly encountered statistical tasks using the freely available R Commander software.
- Mathematical Terminology - If you’re studying at university, you will probably use mathematics somewhere in your course even if your course isn’t directly related to mathematics. At the minimum, you will need some basic maths to demonstrate your numeracy (a graduate attribute) across your units of study. These resources will help you to understand the terminology involved.
There are many resources available on the internet. The links given below will provide you with further explanation and practice in different topics. If, after reading and attempting the exercises available from the MESH site, you feel that you need further explanation or more practice, then the following sites will help you.
- Statstutor (opens in a new window) - Teach yourself or review some techniques in statistics using the resources which include videos. Leaflets and tests and quizzes.
- Mathcentre (opens in a new window) - Lots of revision on the basics and more complex mathematics can be found here.
- MathBench (opens in a new window) - This sites contains a set of interactive modules that review the mathematical underpinnings of the biology taught in undergraduate courses.