- Engineering Courses
- Engineering Careers
- Work Integrated Learning
- Our People
- Solar Car
- Contact the School of Engineering
2nd Year InfraBuild Academic Excellence Award
InfraBuild Steel is part of the GFG Alliance group of businesses. InfraBuild Steel is Australia’s premier manufacturer of steel long products and a leading metals distribution company in Australia and New Zealand. InfraBuild Steel has key manufacturing sites in Sydney, Newcastle and Melbourne.
The award comes from the Sydney site located at Rooty Hill, which has a Steelmaking and Rolling Mill facility. The Steelmaking facility has a capacity to produce 650,000 tonnes per annum of billets. These billets are rolled to products for the construction industry at the Sydney Bar Mill which has an annual capacity of 500,0000 tonnes. Billets are also transported to and rolled at the Newcastle Rod Mill into coils for the construction industry.
- InfraBuild Steel is offering to support two second year undergraduate students, one enrolled in Mechanical / Mechatronics and the other enrolled in Electrical Engineering.
- The award is $ 3000.00 per year for three years.
- The student may have the opportunity to apply for paid vacation work with InfraBuild Steel on the Sydney Site on selected projects in the Steelmaking or Rolling Mill Departments.
- The student must have obtained 80-120 credit points at Western and attained a credit rating in their first year of study.
- The student must remain enrolled at Western Sydney University within Mechanical/ Mechatronics or Electrical Engineering and maintain a GPA of 4.0 or above for ongoing eligibility.
- Student must be an Australian citizen or be a permanent resident of Australia.
How To Apply
Applications are accepted online. Apply Now (opens in a new window) and complete the application form.
You will need to provide the following information in your application:
- CV/ Resume
- Current transcript
- 500-word motivation statement addressing:
- Passion for Engineering
- Interest in pursuing a career in Manufacturing/Steel Production
- Leadership potential
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and organisational skills
- Active involvement in the community
Applications Close Monday 6 April 2020
Shortlist and Interviews
Shortlisted candidates will be interviewed by a panel that consists of University representatives and representatives from InfraBuild Steel. Applicants may need to attend an additional interview at the InfraBuild Steel Sydney site with their manufacturing managers. The successful candidate will be announced shortly after the interviews and receive the first scholarship payment in the last quarter of 2020.
For more information please contact Prof Richard Yang