The School of Business is an AACSB (Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business) accredited School. Accreditation results from an extensive self-review and an international peer evaluation against rigorous criteria and standards of quality academic and professional excellence. The process is one of continuous improvement and includes ongoing assessment of whether learning activities and resources are well aligned to program goals and learning outcomes.
What is Assurance of Learning?
To earn and sustain AACSB accreditation our School must align with AACSB business accreditation standards.
One such standard is Assurance of Learning (AoL), a standard that addresses continuous improvement in learning and teaching.
Undergraduate students will be introduced to program learning outcomes (PLOs) in the first-year core subjects. Each PLO is specific to your discipline and will be introduced and developed as you progress through your degree.
Some units in your degree will assure PLOs by measuring them in an assessment task. For undergraduate students this normally occurs in year 3 and for postgraduate students in the final quarter. The data collected from these measurements are used as part of the School’s processes to design and improve our programs.
Each of the PLOs have been designed specifically to enhance your current and future employability skills. These are skills that employers look for in graduates. These skills will help you gain and maintain work and enable you to perform effectively within a work environment. Having these skills will help you secure a job, manage your career, adapt to new work situations, and have a positive influence throughout your career.
The Schools 6 PLOs are as follows:
- PLO 1 Communication – to communicate effectively in verbal presentations, meetings, discussions etc. and written communication via reports, emails, policies etc.
- PLO 2 Teamwork – to understand how different roles within teams influence effective team work and to understand the skills required to be an active team member and or leader when required.
- PLO 3 Critical thinking – to think critically by assessing, analysing, and evaluating an issue or problem to improve the breadth and quality of your thinking as a professional.
- PLO 4 Problem solving – to solve problems by defining a problem, identifying a cause, and finding alternatives in your professional practice.
- PLO 5 Cultural diversity – to act as a global citizen by considering diversity through the ability to understand people and business through different cultural lenses.
- PLO 6 Responsibility – to act responsibly as a moral practitioner who can evaluate specific relationships or challenges as a responsible professional
Assurance of Learning - Continuous Improvement