Higher Degree Research
The Higher Degree Research (HDR) Program in the School of Business brings together research studies from broad discipline areas, including Business Management, Human Resources Management, Marketing, Economics and Finance, Property and Accounting.
We drive for excellence in research, enabling our HDR candidates to conduct original, impactful research of high quality. We provide the opportunity to pursue the research topics they are passionate about and update and broaden their skills for increased career opportunities.
Our HDR candidates are an integral part of our research community. Academic researchers in the School partner with HDR candidates guiding them on the design and implementation of research employing innovative research methods.
We aim to create the best environment for our HDR candidates. The majority of our HDR candidates are located in Western Sydney University's flagship campus, One Parramatta Square, which offers technologically advanced teaching and learning facilities with plenty of collaborative spaces for networking.
We are proud of our multicultural HDR community, where synergy and harmony pave the way for collaborative learning and knowledge sharing. We celebrate the richness of our multicultural community in HDR gatherings.
Are you planning to apply for the Higher Degree Research Program at the School of Business? You should first read about the three avenues for HDR entry (Master of Research, MPhil and PhD) at Western Sydney University and the respective entry requirements for those courses. When you are acquainted with this information, send your expressions of interest to:Business.firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Associate Dean - Postgraduate Studies of the School of Business is Associate Professor Dilupa Nakandala and the Academic Course Advisor is Dr Aila Khan.
How to Apply
Applications for Higher Degree Research are made through the Graduate Research School. Details of how to apply, including admission criteria, can be found on the Higher Degree Research Candidates page.
Research degrees are designed to enable students to focus on contemporary social issues and scientific problems.
- Master of Research provides you with the necessary educational experiences and expert knowledge to enable a confident approach to PhD studies and your future career.
- Master of Philosophy helps you upgrade your qualifications to give you a competitive edge in your employment by demonstrating superior ability and some research experience.
- Doctor of Philosophy will enable you to conduct research independently at the highest international level of originality and quality.
- Professional Doctorates provide specialist training in fields where research projects and investigations are applied in professional practice. Candidates undertake their independent research under the expert guidance of a panel of supervisors.
Further details on the courses that are available can be found on the Future Students website.
Who to contact for advice
- School of Business, Research and HDR, Business.Research@westernsydney.edu.au
- Graduate Research School, email@example.com
Finding a supervisor
Applicants are strongly advised to discuss their application with an academic advisor. All University research candidates have a panel of at least two supervisors. It is recommended that you contact a Research Coordinator in the relevant area in the first instance. A Research Coordinator may be able to recommend a suitable supervisor for your proposed project. Please contact the School Higher Degrees Research Director to discuss or visit Find a Supervisor page.