The Western Sydney University Penrith Observatory has programs designed to enhance and extend learning in astronomy and space science for school students from K-12. Excursions can be arranged for either daytime or evenings and typically last for two hours.
Programs for K – 6:
- Science and Technology including Physical Phenomena and Earth and its Surroundings.
- The Sun, our Solar System and an investigation into local phenomena such as lunar cycles and seasons.
Programs for 7 – 10:
- Science including energy, chemistry and physical forces within an astronomical context and a detailed look at what we have observed in our Universe.
Programs for 11 – 12:
- HSC physics units Cosmic Engine, Space and Astrophysics come alive with an in depth exploration the lives of stars, the effects of gravity and how we investigate and measure our universe.
School Day Visits
School Night Visits
How to make a booking
If you are not sure about making a booking, we are happy to come to your school and have a short information session with teachers to provide an overview of the program and answer your questions. Please email Raelene Sommer (opens in a new window)
Cost of a Basic Program
- $400 minimum cost (minimum costs vary according to day/night or weekday/weekend)
- $12 per person
- Teachers and helpers are free (2 teachers per 20 students)
- Invoices will be issued on the day/night of your visit