- Teaching Support
Professional Learning @ Western
- - Professional Learning Programs
- - L&T Workshops
- - Reward and Recognition
- - Evidencing Your Practice
- Curriculum Renewal
- The 21C Project
- Sustainability Education
- Contact Us
- The Engaged Teaching Project
Sessional Staff Teaching and Learning Program
Introduction to Teaching Practice at Western (Sessional Academic Staff)
The Introduction to Teaching Practice at Western aims to orient new sessional staff to learning and teaching at Western. The interactive program includes exploring contemporary, active learning environments along with engagement strategies to enhance student learning experiences. The program runs twice a year during autumn and spring terms.
What is the Program about?
The Program is designed to support new sessional academic staff to
- Examine their students' engagement in learning to adapt their approaches to teaching
- Identify strategies to improve responsiveness to culturally diverse learning environments
- Track down some of the different technological platforms available at WSU to support teaching and learning to consider how they might be used to improve the educational experience
- Use research-informed guidelines on effective feedback to reflect on the approaches to assessment within their units
- Locate a variety of sources of feedback on their teaching and their students' learning to inform their work in unit and course teams
- Exchange strategies and sources of support with other academic colleagues
This Program is facilitated through a flipped delivery mode where attendees are required to:
- complete online modules which focus on teaching practice (1 hour)
- attend an interactive, participant-focused workshop (2 hours)
NOTE: Non-completion of the online module activities by the required completion date will result in exclusion from the workshop. We recommend that you consult your supervisor and/or School Manager before registering for the workshop.
Register for Autumn 2023 workshop
Date: 30 March, 2023
Time: 10am - 12pm
Location: Online via Zoom (Zoom details will be shared once registration is complete)
Registrations close: 21 March, 2023
To Register via MyCareer Online: Log into MyCareer Online and type 'Introduction to teaching practice'. Select 'Introduction to teaching practice at Western' and click request. Registration closes 21 March 2022.
Register your interest for Spring 2023 session
For enquiries regarding registration for these sessions, please contact Farukh Anjum at firstname.lastname@example.org
If you have any additional questions about the program, contact Learning Futures.