- Teaching Support
- Professional Learning @ Western
- Curriculum Renewal
- The 21C Project
- Sustainability Education
- Contact Us
- The Engaged Teaching Project
Evidencing Your Teaching Practice
Are you looking for support or resources to help you with evidencing your teaching practice?
Well you've come to the right place!
Here you will find a collation of resources and support options to help you navigate the complex task of evidencing your teaching practice, whether you're applying for promotion, awards, or a fellowship!
Learning Futures regularly runs workshops to help teaching staff with the evidencing of their teaching practice, and we store recordings and resources from those workshops right here.
Below you will find a range of recordings and resources to help, including Audio Case Studies and Video Case Studies, advice and tips, and Workshop Recordings.
Don't forget to check the links on the right-hand side, as there are additional resources and recordings there as well.
Evidencing Your Teaching Practice Beyond SFUs and SFTs
Evidencing the impact of your teaching practice can draw upon many internal and external data sets. These can be used to evidence your impact on the success of students and can be used for support of teaching awards, promotion, fellowship, or grant applications. To help you get started, the resource below offers some examples of where you can obtain some of this evidence.
- Evidencing Your Teaching Practice Beyond SFUs and SFTs (PDF, 240.77 KB)(opens in a new window)
T&L Impact and Evidence aligned with Professional Learning Activities
Learning Futures has also developed an interactive framework (below) which outlines teaching, learning and leadership impact and aligns it with evidence of practice (beyond SFTs/SFUs) and targeted professional learning activities. This includes the use of both quantitative and qualitative data from various sources. This framework helps diversify the evidence of teaching and learning success rather than relying on a single source of data (e.g., SFU/SFT).
The provision of this framework is intended for use by Western staff and School leaders aligning professional learning based on roles and/or interest, enabling capability development and engagement in scholarship, evidence-based practice and data-driven decision making; a strategy for increased reward and recognition promoting staff career satisfaction, along with more robust evaluation of the impact of our T&L innovation on student success.
- T&L Impact and Evidence aligned with Professional Learning Activities
(PDF, 226.96 KB)(opens in a new window)
Audio Case Study (Alanna Kamp - Excellence in Indigenous Teaching)
In August, Learning Futures interviewed Alanna Kamp, Western's inaugural winner of the Excellence in Indigenous Teaching Award in 2021. Alanna is a Lecturer in Geography and Urban Studies in the School of Social Science.
As part of the interview, Alanna was asked to provide a resource that other academics might find helpful when considering how to incorporate Indigenous knowledges, content, or perspectives into their curriculum and teaching. She shared a blog post she was commissioned to write for National Reconciliation Week:
Be brave: how to Indigenise the curriculum(opens in a new window)
Audio Case Studies (April 2022)
In April 2022, Learning Futures hosted a workshop for prospective Learning & Teaching Award candidates.
During that workshop two past winners, Irena Veljanova from the School of Social Science and Karina Wardle from the School of Business came and spoke briefly about their experience applying for a WSU Teaching Excellence Award.
Karina Wardle was the team lead for the The Professional Careers Leadership Team who won a Teaching Excellence Award in 2021. You can listen to Karina's talk here:
Irena Veljanova won a Citation for Outstanding Contributions to Student Learning in 2021. You can listen to Irena's talk here:
Video Case Study - Jacki Montgomery AAUT Citation Winner 2020
In 2020, Jacki Montgomery, from the School of Humanities and Communication Arts, won an AAUT (Australian Awards for University Teaching) Citation. This followed successes in 2019 when Jacki won Western's VC Teaching Excellence Award, and was awarded an AdvanceHE Senior Fellowship.
Five Tips for Writing an Application
In this video excerpt, Jacki Montgomery outlines five tips for writing an internal award application.
Beyond your SFUs and SFTs
In this video excerpt, Catherine Attard provides advice on gathering evidence beyond your SFU and SFT surveys.
Professional Learning Modules
You can also visit the Professional Learning Modules(opens in a new window) page. The Professional Learning vUWS page includes modules on the following:
- Enhancing & evidencing your teaching practice
- Partnership Pedagogy
- Peer Review
Western Educational Fellowship Scheme (WEFS)
The Western Educational Fellowship Scheme(Opens in a new window) is an excellent opportunity to develop their reflective writing and evidence-gathering practices relating to their teaching. The 21C Western Educational Fellowship Scheme (WEFS) provides academic and professional staff with an opportunity to apply for international and externally peer reviewed recognition of their education practice with Advance HE. The Fellowship enables staff to benchmark their practice according to the UK Professional Standards Framework (UKPSF). Advance HE Fellowships are internationally recognised, portable and ongoing.
Applying for a Fellowship encourages staff to use the UKPSF to review, develop, benchmark and demonstrate the quality of their education and teaching practice. Becoming a Fellow demonstrates a commitment to reflective teaching, learning support, and education practice within the discipline or division in which you work. For academics, a Fellowship adds to the suite of evidence for academic promotion; for professional staff, it offers visible recognition of how your work supports students’ educational success.
The WEFS program is run by Badugulang, WSU's Centre for Teaching and Learning Excellence.
Reach out to us!
If you have any questions, please email: LearningFutures@westernsydney.edu.au
- Badugulang - Centre for Teaching and Learning Excellence(Opens in a new window)
- Professional Learning Modules(Opens in a new window)
- ConTEACHi 2021 Recordings(Opens in a new window)
- Western Education Fellowship Scheme(Opens in a new window)
Research and Data
- How to Research your Teaching(Opens in a new window)
- Action Research in Teaching and Learning(Opens in a new window)
- Getting Started with Data in Teaching and Learning (Opens in a new window)
- Using Theory of Change in Teaching and Learning(Opens in a new window)
- WSU Teaching and Learning Awards(Opens in a new window)
- AAUT (WSU Webpage) (Opens in a new window)
- Mapping your Evidence for a Citation (DOCX, 33.51 KB)(opens in a new window)
- 2022 Teaching Excellence Awards Checklist (PDF, 884.7 KB)(opens in a new window)
- 2022 Teaching Citation Checklist (PDF, 910.37 KB)(opens in a new window)
- AAUT Website(Opens in a new window)
- AAUT Good Forms of Evidence Examples(Opens in a new window)
- AAUT Program Overview (PDF, 1182.71 KB)(Opens in a new window)
- AAUT Creating Winning Applications – Checklist Handout(Opens in a new window)
- AAUT Suggestions on Writing a Successful Award Application(Opens in a new window)
- Action Research in Teaching and Learning(Opens in a new window)(Book)
- Exploring University Teaching and Learning
(PDF, 1557.23 KB)(Opens in a new window)(Book)
- Transforming Teaching and Learning in Higher Education (PDF, 6868.93 KB)(Opens in a new window)(Book)
- Literature Review of Action Research in Higher Education(Opens in a new window)(Article)
- Leadership for the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning(Opens in a new window)(Article)
- Applying Learning Analytics to the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning(Opens in a new window)(Article)
- The Future of the Research and Teaching Nexus in a Post-Pandemic World(Opens in a new window)(Article)
TEL Hub Articles
- How do I know my learning environment is effective?(Opens in a new window) (Hub)
- Evaluating your Subject(Opens in a new window) (Hub)
- Learning Analytics - What is it?(Opens in a new window) (Hub)
- Learning Analytics - Student Access and Interactions on vUWS(Opens in a new window)(Recording)
- Learning Analytics - Content and Learner Engagement on vUWS(Opens in a new window)(Recording)
- Using Analytics to Inform Curriculum and Instructional Design(Opens in a new window)(Recording)
- Using Analytics to Improve the Evaluation of Learning(Opens in a new window)(Recording)
- Interpretation of vUWS Analytics(Opens in a new window)(Recording)
External Data Sources
- Quality Indicators for Learning and Teaching (QILT)(Opens in a new window)
- Higher Education Data, Statistics and Publications(Opens in a new window)
- Labour Market Information Portal(Opens in a new window)
- Skill Shortages Portal(Opens in a new window)