Conditions of Participation in an Overseas Program
Western Sydney University is committed to demonstrating high standards of personal and professional conduct at all times. When participating in an overseas program, students must assume certain obligations to Western Sydney University (WS), the prospective country and other participants in a program. Provided below are relevant WS policies.
- Code of Conduct
- Student Misconduct Rule
- Alcohol and Drug Control Policy
- Bullying Prevention Policy
- Discrimination, Harassment, Vilification and Victimisation Prevention Policy
- Motting and Hazing Prevention Policy
- Sexual Harassment Prevention Policy
If the instructor of a program or staff member of a partner organisation determines that a student participant fails to meet the behavioural expectations, the student may be asked to leave the program. If a student has been asked to leave under such circumstances and they have paid a program fee, they will not receive a refund and will be required to pay back any grants or scholarships.
Student Conditions of Participation
- I acknowledge that it is my decision to travel to a particular country or region is a personal one and that Western Sydney University (WS) does not warrant it free from harm. I acknowledge that I should review the latest travel advice for the countries I intend to travel to and that this advice may be also obtained prior to departure from the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFAT) website at: www.dfat.gov.au/travel. I acknowledge that I should register my proposed travel with DFAT at: smartraveller.gov.au.
- I acknowledge that there are potential risks and liabilities associated with living and studying in a foreign country. I freely accept and fully assume all such risks, and the possibility of personal injury, death, violence, property damage or loss, during all the time of my participation in an overseas activity and/ or resulting from the travel arrangements and any other related or incidental activities during this program.
- I acknowledge that it is my responsibility to abide by the laws and respect the customs of the host country, and to ensure that I have adequate medical, and travel insurance coverage, as well as protection of my personal possessions.
- I acknowledge that I will be covered by the Western Sydney University corporate travel insurance policy for the official University component of the trip. The cover is limited and does not include personal travel. Any additional travel not included in the official time period of the official overseas activity will require me to purchase my own travel/health insurance for personal travel. Further advice may be obtained from the Western Sydney University Staff and Student Overseas Travel Insurance webpage.
- I acknowledge that participation in this overseas program and associated travel is the sole responsibility and assumes all financial responsibility, including debt, arising from such circumstance.
- I acknowledge that I will participate/have participated in the Pre-Departure briefing offered by Western Sydney University and agree to follow any relevant directive issued by the Australian Embassy or High Commission or other Australian Government representative in the host country.
- I will advise Western Sydney University of any changes in the arrangements of my overseas activity.
- I acknowledge, whilst abroad, that may activities could jeopardise the safety of local hosts and/or Western Sydney University’s partner organisations. I will not participate in any activity, including political activity, which might endanger either party, bring detriment to the relationship between Western Sydney University and my host institution(s) or host organisations, or undermine the effectiveness or viability of the Western Sydney University Student Mobility Program.
Students will not be confirmed in a program until their application has been assessed and they have been officially accepted into the program. Students are advised not to procure any associated costs, prior to receiving a program confirmation from the overseas provider or Western Sydney University.
Program Fee Changes
If a program is being managed by Western Sydney University, the University reserves the right to vary program fees in the event of changes in exchange rates or price rises made by partners or other suppliers. If the cost of any service increases due to exchange rate fluctuations, price increases, tax changes or any other reason, participants may be required to pay the increase when notified or may cancel a program which may result in cancellation fees.
If a program is being managed by Western Sydney University, the University reserves the right to cancel any program if there are insufficient applicants, a threat to the health and safety of participants, or the reduction in the quality of a program. Western Sydney University is not responsible for costs incurred by applicants preparing for a program. Should a program be cancelled for any reason, applicants will, where possible, be offered the option of positions in other Western Sydney University opportunities. The returning of any payments made for program is dependent on the School or Divisions refund policy.
Refund of Payments
If a student cancels for any reason, they must notify Western Sydney University in writing. The cancellation will be effective upon receipt and acknowledgement of the written notification by Western Sydney University. The returning of any payments made for program is dependent on the School or Divisions refund policy.