- Vice-Chancellor and President
- Board of Trustees
- Academic Senate
- Office of Governance Services
- Mission, Goals and Strategic Plan
- Contact Us
Review of Strategic Plan and Academic Structure: Discussion and Consultation
The Mid-term Revision of Securing Success has now been completed and changes approved by the Board of Trustees at the Board’s April 2018 meeting. Prior to the Board meeting the draft plan was presented for consideration by Academic Senate, the University Executive Committee, the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Elders on Campus Advisory Committee and the Board of Trustees and its Standing Committees. The process also benefitted from submissions received during the consultation phase. We trust you will find that we have addressed the key issues identified by the University community:
- Revised STRATEGIC CONTEXT: Inclusion of an appropriate Western Growth narrative to reflect the rapidly changing context and development of the University.
- Better articulation of the concept of 'research-led', including the role of research strength in the international agenda and global university rankings.
- Strengthening of the University's Engagement agenda, including engagement with our significant Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander communities.
- The critical importance of the International strategy to the University.
- Better articulation of the concept of 'student-centeredness' and graduate attributes.
We have also made every effort to ensure that goals and priorities are clearly aligned to the changing context of the University and are better integrated. Appendices have also been updated.
The Review of the Academic Structure is now in its final stages, with a report scheduled to go to the June meeting of the Board of Trustees. Academic Structures White Paper 2 will be circulated in May for your information and consideration. Recommendations regarding structure have been informed by colleagues who participated in one or more of four Academic Charrettes in 2017 and also from valuable feedback and submissions in response to the 2017 Green and Discussion Papers. These papers may be accessed from this site.
Following two fora with the Vice-Chancellor in 2017 a working party drawn from the Professoriate developed a Framework for Collective Leadership by the Professoriate. This framework was circulated to the Professoriate for feedback and endorsed by colleagues at a third forum with the Vice-Chancellor on 12 April. The paper is made available for your information and the Professoriate is developing an implementation strategy.
Governance and Substructure Timeline
|November 2017||DRAFT governance principles regarding Schools and Research Institutes (1)|
|November 2017 - December 2017||Develop protocols for formal identification of disciplinary/professional fields (5)|
|November 2017 - December 2017||Constitute Working Party on Academic Governance (6)|
|November 2017 - February 2018||Develop structural models|
|December 2017 - February 2018||Formulate Leadership Responsibilities with Professoriate (7)|
|March 2018 - April 2018||Redesign DAP/ACA roles (7)|
|May 2018 - June 2018||Academic Structures White Paper 2|
Related Documents (Staff Login)
- Securing Success 2018-2020 (opens in a new window) (PDF, 4015.86 KB)
- 2017 Review of Securing Success and Academic Structure Discussion Paper (opens in a new window)(PDF, 2661.45 KB)
- 2017 Review of Securing Success and Academic Structure Green Paper (opens in a new window) (PDF, 223.75 KB)
- Consultation on Strategic Plan and Academic Structure (opens in a new window) (PDF, 6815.34 KB)
- DRAFT Revised Strategic Plan (opens in a new window) (PDF, 3787.4 KB)