- Vice-Chancellor and President
- Board of Trustees
- Academic Senate
- Office of Governance Services
- Mission, Goals and Strategic Plan
- Contact Us
Review of Strategic Plan and Academic Structure: Discussion and Consultation
We are seeking your feedback on mid-term review changes to the University's Strategic Plan Securing Success 2018-2020. Consultation to date indicates that there are five critical issues of substance to be addressed:
- Revised STRATEGIC CONTEXT: Inclusion of an appropriate Western Growth narrative to reflect the rapidly changing context and development of the University.
- Better articulation of the concept of 'research-led', including the role of research strength in the international agenda and global university rankings.
- Strengthening of the University's Engagement agenda, including engagement with our significant Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander communities.
- The critical importance of the International strategy to the University
- Better articulation of the concept of 'student-centredness' and graduate attributes.
Since the framing of Securing Success 2015-2020 the context in which the University operates has changed significantly. Impending reforms to Australian higher education have not been realised and we continue to operate with policy uncertainty, whilst the opportunities afforded by Western Growth have materialised and are well-documented in 2016 Census data. The current draft therefore moves from a focus on generic issues, to the specific context of Western Sydney University.
The revised Context section of the plan is designed to address the specific issues of the University’s relationship to Western Sydney and our engagement with our communities, particularly Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander communities; institutional confidence and optimism aligned with regional growth; student diversity, aspirations and commitment; and the importance of the International and the Research strategies to the University and to the region. It also gives prominence to the importance of the development of ‘vertical campuses’ and how this strategy links to the University’s Vision and Mission.
The next phase of consultation will ensure that goals and priorities are clearly aligned to the changing context and where appropriate, better integrated.
A final version of the revised plan will be presented to the Board of Trustees in April 2018.
As we continue to engage with colleagues in consultation on proposed structural changes we also welcome any additional suggestions or feedback you might have on the earlier paper Consultation on Strategic Plan and Academic Structure that is also available on this website.
Please take the time to read the 'Consultation on the Strategic Plan and Academic Structure' papers, available in the right hand column, and provide feedback. We welcome comments, both of a general nature and those which specifically address the concerns around the academic structure of the University. Feedback can be provided via the feedback form.
Strategic Plan Consultation Timeline
|27 November 2017||Preliminary Draft to Executive Committee|
|6 December 2017||Board of Trustees|
|8 December 2017||Academic Senate|
|11 December 2017||Publish DRAFT on website|
|TBA||Consult with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Elders on Campus Committee regarding changes to Strategic Plan (3)|
|12 February 2017||Update to Executive Committee|
|23 February 2017||Academic Senate|
|4 April 2017||Board of Trustees|
Governance and Substructure Timeline
|November 2017||DRAFT governance principles regarding Schools and Research Institutes (1)|
|November 2017 - December 2017||Develop protocols for formal identification of disciplinary/professional fields (5)|
|November 2017 - December 2017||Constitute Working Party on Academic Governance (6)|
|November 2017 - February 2018||Develop structural models|
|December 2017 - February 2018||Formulate Leadership Responsibilities with Professoriate (7)|
|March 2018 - April 2018||Redesign DAP/ACA roles (7)|
|May 2018 - June 2018||FINAL Report on Academic Structures|
Related Documents (Staff Login)
- 2017 Review of Securing Success and Academic Structure Discussion Paper (PDF, 2661.45 KB)
- 2017 Review of Securing Success and Academic Structure Green Paper (PDF, 223.75 KB)
- Consultation on Strategic Plan and Academic Structure (PDF, 6815.34 KB)
- DRAFT Revised Strategic Plan (PDF, 3787.4 KB)