Professor Denise Kirkpatrick is Acting Senior Deputy Vice-Chancellor at Western Sydney University.
A highly regarded academic and educational leader, Professor Kirkpatrick was previously Pro Vice-Chancellor (Student Experience) at the University of Adelaide. Professor Kirkpatrick holds a PhD and is recognised internationally for her scholarly contributions in the fields of technology enhanced learning and quality assurance in higher education. She is also an award-winning teacher.
Professor Kirkpatrick has been at the forefront of developing strategies to enhance teaching and learning at many of Australia's leading universities, as well as at the Open University, UK. She has led many major projects designed to invigorate the academic program and improve the student experience. She has worked as an academic, senior executive and higher education consultant in Australia, the UK, Africa and South East Asia.
Professor Kirkpatrick has been a member of numerous boards, including:
- Non-executive Director, Sydney School of Entrepreneurship Board, 2017-
- Convenor, NSW Deputy Vice-Chancellors (Academic) group, 2017-
- Chair, Enterprises Board, Western Sydney University, 2016-
- Non-executive Director, Western Sydney University International College, 2016-
- Non-executive Director, UWS College Board, 2015
- Member, Advisory Board, Hamdan Bin Mohammed eUniversity, Dubai, 2009-2012
- Member, Leadership Foundation for Higher Education Membership Advisory Board, 2009-2012
- Member, IMS Executive Strategy Board, 2009-2011
- Member, Pearson International Strategic Advisory Board, 2009-2011
- Member, Observatory on Higher Education Advisory Board, 2008-2011
- Member, Executive Committee, International Council on Open and Distance Education (ICDE), 2007-2012
Professor Kirkpatrick reviews articles for various journals including: Higher Education Research and Development; Studies in Continuing Education; Higher Education Policy Studies; Association for Learning Technologies Journal; Distance Education and Open Learning.