The project uses a multi-method approach to collect and analyse archival, statistical, survey and interview data. It includes:
- Archival research within relevant government, industry, arts and cultural policy agencies.
- Statistical analysis drawing on government and industry resources relating to cultural production and distribution, and changing demographic patterns of cultural consumption.
- A national survey of cultural participation, taste and knowledge.
- Interviews with a selection of survey respondents and their partners, and with political and cultural elites.
- Interviews with key government, cultural industry and agency personnel.
This multi-method approach bridges humanities and social science research cultures, enhancing the relevance of the project's findings for the development of future research agendas in Australia and internationally.