Sessional Staff Teaching and Learning Program
Sessional Staff Orientation to Teaching and Learning at Western
The Sessional Academic Staff Orientation to Teaching and Learning at Western aims to orient new sessional staff to learning and teaching at Western; assist them in developing active learning environments with their students and; support staff with using enquiry-oriented methods to frame individual professional development goals as sessional academics. The program runs twice a year during autumn and spring semesters.
What is the Program about?
The Program is designed to support new sessional academic staff to
- Examine their students' engagement in learning to adapt their approaches to teaching
- Identify strategies to improve responsiveness to culturally diverse learning environments
- Track down some of the different technological platforms available at WSU to support teaching and learning to consider how they might be used to improve the educational experience
- Use research-informed guidelines on effective feedback to reflect on the approaches to assessment within their units
- Locate a variety of sources of feedback on their teaching and their students' learning to inform their work in unit and course teams
- Exchange strategies and sources of support with other academic colleagues
This Program is facilitated through a flipped delivery mode where attendees are required to:
- complete online modules which focus on teaching practice (1 hour)
- attend an interactive, participant-focused workshop (2 hours)
NOTE: Non-completion of the online module activities by the required completion date will result in exclusion from the workshop. We recommend that you consult your supervisor and/or School Manager before registering for the workshop.
Reimbursement: All Sessional Academic staff who complete the program can claim three hours of professional development (one hour’s pay for completing the pre-workshop independent study modules activities and two hours pay for attending the online workshop). Details of claiming the reimbursement will be sent to Sessional Academic staff who register and complete all requirements of the 3-hour program. Entitlements for reimbursement are only available for first-time participants holding a valid teaching contract for the current semester.
Register for Autumn 2022 Workshop
Date: 11 May 2022
Time: 10am - 12pm
Location: Online via Zoom
Registration closes: 5 May 2022
To register for an Autumn 2022 Session please log into MyCareer Online(opens in a new window) (type 'Sessional’ in the search window and select ‘Sessional Staff Orientation to Teaching and Learning at Western Workshop’).
Please note, you may be unable to access MyCareer online if your Autumn teaching contract has not been processed. If you are unable to access MyCareer online by the registration close date, please contact Learning Futures for assistance as soon as your contract is processed.
Register your interest for Spring 2022
For enquiries regarding registration for these sessions, please contact Farukh Anjum at firstname.lastname@example.org
If you have any additional questions about the program, contact Learning Futures.