Well-run meetings can create a sense of involvement, providing opportunities to share ideas, solve problems and make decisions.
Tips for meeting organisers:
- Consider whether the meeting is necessary or if alternative communication channels could be used.
- Ensure there is a clear aim/purpose for the meeting.
- Invite only the relevant people to attend the meeting.
- Circulate an agenda and any background material to participants prior to the meeting.
- Start on time and end on time.
- Ask participants to briefly introduce themselves if the majority have not met one another.
- Stick to the agenda.
- Give all participants the opportunity to speak.
- Acknowledge issues but encourage participates to come up with solutions.
- Thank participants for their time and input.
- Record the decisions, outcomes and required actions from the meeting and follow up any action items.
Tips for meeting participants:
- Reply promptly to meeting invitations.
- Nominate a representative to attend on your behalf if you are unable to attend.
- Prepare for the meeting by reading the agenda and any background material.
- Arrive at the meeting on time and plan to attend the entire meeting if at all possible.
- Switch off your mobile phone or Blackberry, or set it to silent mode.
- Stay focused on the topic of discussion.
- Listen to other participants and avoid interrupting.
- Respect the opinion of others.
- Ask a question if you need clarification.
- Complete any action items assigned to you promptly.
- Keep confidential information confidential.