International Applicants

If you are an applicant from overseas looking to expand your career in Australia, the state-of-the-art teaching spaces, research facilities and the beautiful surrounds of the Western Sydney University's six campuses provides a unique opportunity to do so.

Want to be part of a University on the move, conducting high-impact research and making a real difference in our community? We want to hear from you.

Western Sydney University welcomes international applications from overseas applicants entitled to work in Australia.

Australian Citizenship/Residency Status

The University welcomes applications from overseas applicants, however, must ensure that applicants are entitled to undertake employment in Australia by the time they commence employment with the University.

Offers of employment to overseas applicants are subject to the Department of Immigration and Citizenship granting approval for permanent residency or an appropriate temporary work visa to cover the period of employment.

Applicants are required to notify the University of any Immigration Restriction that may preclude them from fulfilling the terms of any contract of employment offered by the University.

Further information is available from the Department of Immigration and Citizenship website (opens in a new window).

Visa Immigration Sponsorship

In line with the Immigration Regulations provided by the Department of Immigration and Citizenship (DIAC), overseas applicants for highly qualified academic positions and specialised general staff positions may be eligible for employer sponsored migration. The appropriate Australian visa subclass will be Temporary Residency (457 subclass) and or Employer Sponsored Permanent Residency (186 subclass) Visa.

Additionally the University may consider a request of sponsoring a visiting academic from overseas invited by the University to observe, collaborate or participate in an Australian research project (in Australia). The appropriate Australian visa will be a Visiting Academic (subclass 419) and or Occupational Trainee (subclass 442) visa.

For further information on approved university sponsored visas refer to the following;


In order to attract quality staff and to ensure that their relocation to the Western Sydney University is as smooth as possible, the University may make a contribution towards the actual travel and relocation expenses for new staff members under the following conditions.

The Office of People and Culture has a dedicated Relocations Consultant whose role is to work across the university assisting with the complexities of relocating candidates and their families to Australia. This service includes, but is not limited to, assisting with visa procedures, removals and relocation, taxation and banking information, accommodation and transport arrangements and information on our health and education systems.

For more information please see the Relocation Assistance Upon Appointment Policy (opens in a new window) to view the policy.