Working with Children - Western Sydney University Staff

What is a Working with Children Check?

A NSW Working with Children Check (opens in a new window) is a prerequisite for anyone in child-related work.  It involves a national criminal history check and review of reported workplace misconduct.

The result of a NSW Working with Children Check is either a clearance to work with children for five years, or a bar against working with children. Cleared applicants are subject to ongoing monitoring, and any relevant new records which appear against a cleared applicant's name may lead to the clearance being revoked.

The Check is fully portable which means it can be used for any paid or unpaid child-related work in NSW for as long as the worker remains cleared.

Impact and obligations for Western Sydney University

As an employer, the University must verify that their child-related workers and volunteers have a current NSW Working with Children Check.

Volunteers and new employees will be required to provide proof they can work in child related roles before they start in their new position. The onus of responsibility for providing proof is on the volunteer or new employee. A volunteer check cannot be used for paid work with children.

The check operates online. Paid staff are charged $80 and the check is free for volunteers.

How do I apply for a Check?

Western Sydney University staff requiring a NSW Working with Children Check should:

  1. Go to the NSW Office of the Children's Guardian (Working with Children Check) website and complete the online application form (opens in a new window); and
  2. Present proof of identity and pay the fee at a NSW Motor Registry or NSW Council agency.

Once the outcome of the check has been received, staff must provide the details at interview or to their Recruitment Consultant.

To ensure your proof of identity requirement is processed, your details on the application form MUST match the details on your identity documents.

See the FACT SHEET: How to apply (opens in a new window).

What about students required to complete practical work?

This information is prepared for Western Sydney University staff.  Students enquiring about NSW Working with Children Check required for a course should direct their questions to their course coordinator or School contact.

Where do I obtain further information?

The NSW Office of the Children's Guardian has further information available to assist employers, volunteers, employees and students on its Working With Children Check website (opens in a new window).

View the NSW Child Protection (Working with Children) Act 2012 (opens in a new window).

Or alternatively email your enquiries about the NSW Working with Children Check to

Who should I contact if I have further questions?

Please contact Human Resources at for further questions.