- About us
- Courses and training programs
- 2019 Program Calendar
- Work Planning and Career Development
Career Development Opportunities
- - Academic Careers and Development
- - Academic Development Program
- - Academic Promotions
- - Academic Mentoring Program
- - Education Support Allowance
- - Critical Management Conversations
- - Inspire Leadership Program
- - Scholarships for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders
- - Speed Mentoring Forums
- - Staff Postgraduate Study Scholarships
- - Vice-Chancellor's Professional Development Scholarships
- - Senior Management Group Conference
- - Strategy Forum
- - Professional Staff Mentoring Program
- Contact us
- Coaching @ Western
Education Support Allowance
The information contained in these web pages are currently being reviewed and should therefore be used as a guide only and must be read in conjunction with the relevant Clauses of the UWS Enterprise Agreements in force at the time.
Further enquiries should be directed to your relevant contact in the Office of Human Resources.
Frequently Asked Questions
Am I eligible to obtain assistance to pay my study expenses?
Study support is available to all full time or part time staff or employees who have completed a minimum of the equivalent of 12 months full-time continuous service and who have satisfactorily completed the performance planning and development process.
What are approved formal award courses?
'Approved study' generally refers to courses that lead to a recognised qualification either from a University, TAFE College or a Recognised Training Organisation.
Decisions on relevancy of the course are to be made by the staff members Supervisor and supported by the Unit head, with advice from the Director, Office of Organisational Development or the Director, Office of Learning and Teaching, where necessary.
What sorts of expenses may I claim?
The allowance may include reimbursement of costs or contribution towards costs incurred for approved course fees, books, materials, compulsory fees and/or equipment essential to completion of a course or subject.
What if I have been directed to undertake a course in order to do my job?
How much Education Support Allowance can I apply for?
This will apply to full-time or part-time staff.
How is this paid?
If a study expense is tax exempt, the staff member should claim the deduction when completing a tax return.
Are there any circumstances where I would have to pay the allowance back?
Where a staff member fails a subject, no further support will be granted for that subject unless there are exceptional circumstances (e.g. the experience of significant loss, psychiatric illness etc). For exceptional circumstances, submission of details to the Director/Dean will be required by the staff member.
How do I apply for the allowance and study leave?
- Education Support Allowance application form (PDF, 114.79 KB) (opens in a new window)
- Study Leave application form (DOCX, 51.7 KB) (opens in a new window)