- About us
- Courses and training programs
- 2018 Program Calendar
- Work Planning and Career Development
Career Development Opportunities
- - Academic Careers and Development
- - Academic Development Program
- - Academic Promotions
- - Academic Mentoring Program
- - Education Support Allowance
- - Foundational Leadership and Management
- - Inspire Leadership Program
- - Scholarships for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders
- - Speed Mentoring Forums
- - Staff Postgraduate Study Scholarships
- - Vice-Chancellor's Professional Development Scholarships
- - Senior Management Conference
- - Quality Forum
- - Professional Staff Mentoring Program
- How-to resources
- Contact us
Academic promotion is a process whereby academic staff may apply for promotion to a higher level. There is a policy and procedure document which govern this process and provide all the details on eligibility and criteria. They are:
- Academic Promotions Policy (opens in a new window)
- Academic Promotions Procedures (opens in a new window)
There is now an always-open process for academic promotion, with applications accepted throughout the year.
It is expected that all applicants will review the Academic Promotions Policy, Procedures, Guidelines and associated documents as part of their preparation.
Please request your Summary of Research Performance Report at REDIdata@westernsydney.edu.au to aid you in preparing your application.
Please request your Tracking and Improving Community Engagement (TICE) report from the Promotions Coordinator to aid in preparation and submission of your application.
Forms and Associated Documents:
Academic Promotion Application Form (DOCX, 43.86 KB) (opens in a new window)
Academic Promotion Application CV (DOCX, 34.79 KB) (opens in a new window)
Application Promotions Guidelines (DOCX, 50.18 KB) (opens in a new window)
Position Classification Standards (DOC, 60 KB) (opens in a new window) - extract from the EA Academic 2014
Workshop for 2018
The workshop for 2018 was held on Friday 23 February at the Parramatta Campus.
Workshop presentations and information from 2018
Following are the presentations shown at the 2018 workshop.
- Professor Denise Kirkpatrick giving an overview of the current Policy and Procedures and also the Leadership, Service and Engagement profile. (opens in a new window)
- Academic Promotion Overview & Leadership/Service Presentation (PDF, 619.5 KB) (opens in a new window)
- Professor Deborah Sweeney speaking to the Research, Scholarship and Development profile. (opens in a new window)
- Academic Promotion Research Presentation (PDF, 571.73 KB) (opens in a new window)
- Professor Simon Barrie speaking to the Teaching and Learning profile. (opens in a new window)
- Academic Promotion Teaching Presentation (PDF, 1933.31 KB) (opens in a new window)
- Ms Susan Robbins speaking about assistance available from the library (opens in a new window)
- For assistance locating research metrics and creating a narrative around them for your application please contact your School Librarian or email email@example.com
- Mr Stephen Hannan speaking about the Researcher Report Card supplied by REDI (opens in a new window)
- Mr Tony Lazzara speaking about the SFT and SFU reports (opens in a new window)
- For information surrounding SFT and SFU reports (opens in a new window)
Academic Mentors to help with your application
If you wish to contact someone who has previously been successful with Academic Promotion, visit the Academic Promotion Mentors page to find a university colleague that you would feel comfortable talking to in regards to your application.
Important Dates for 2018
Applications are always open throughout the year.
Cut-off dates for the Academic Promotions Committee meetings and inclusion in these meeting dates are:
- 1st Academic Promotions Committee Meeting - Tuesday 10 April 2018
- Applying for Level B or Level C: applications are required by Monday 22 January
- Applying for Level D or Level E: applications are required by Thursday 11 January
- 2nd Academic Promotions Committee Meeting - Thursday 20 July and Tuesday 24 July 2018
- Applying for Level B or Level C: applications are required by Monday 30 April
- Applying for Level D or Level E: applications are required by Wednesday 18 April
- 3rd Academic Promotions Committee Meeting - Wednesday 7, Tuesday 13 and Thursday 14 November 2018
- Applying for Level B or Level C: applications are required by Monday 27 August
- Applying for Level D or Level E: applications are required by Wednesday 15 August
Promotion applications must be made on the above Application Form and CV. These must be submitted electronically in word format to the Promotions Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org
You are strongly encouraged to read all of the supporting documentation surrounding Academic Promotions and to also refer to the resources listed on the right hand side of this page as you complete the required forms.
Membership of the Promotion Committees for 2018
Per the Promotion Procedures, applicants must not contact a member of a Promotions Committee to discuss their application, except to receive official feedback from the Chair or nominee after results have been notified. You will be advised as to who to contact for feedback in your official outcome letter.
Promotion Committee Composition for the second round meeting 2018(PDF, 113.53 KB) (opens in a new window).
Where can I get further information?
Contact Promotions Co-ordinator, Office of Human Resources.
- Checklist for Academic Achievement (PDF, 521.83 KB) (opens in a new window)
- Academic Careers and Development Resources (opens in a new window)
- Academic Promotion Mentors available
- Securing Success 2015-2020 (opens in a new window)
- Learning Futures Plan 2016-2020 (opens in a new window)
- Research Plan (opens in a new window)
- International Plan (opens in a new window)
- TICE database (Tracking and Improving Community Engagement website) (opens in a new window)