- About us
- Courses and training programs
- 2019 Program Calendar
- Work Planning and Career Development
Career Development Opportunities
- - Academic Careers and Development
- - Academic Development Program
- - Academic Promotions
- - Academic Mentoring Program
- - Education Support Allowance
- - Critical Management Conversations
- - Inspire Leadership Program
- - Scholarships for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders
- - Speed Mentoring Forums
- - Staff Postgraduate Study Scholarships
- - Vice-Chancellor's Professional Development Scholarships
- - Senior Management Group Conference
- - Strategy Forum
- - Professional Staff Mentoring Program
- Contact us
- Coaching @ Western
Academic Development Program
What is the Academic Development Program (ADP)
A provision for eligible academic staff to undertake a sustained period of academic development - to assist individual members of the academic staff to pursue research; acquire new skills and knowledge that can be applied to their teaching; or to develop ongoing partnerships with industry that will benefit the University.
Who can apply?
Tenured members of the academic staff of the University will, under normal circumstances, be eligible to apply for ADP if they have completed at least three years continuous service - however please read relevant section of the ADP Policy - Eligibility to Undertake ADP.
If you are uncertain, please contact the ADP Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org, within the Office of Human Resources, for confirmation of your eligibility to apply.
Mentors - Link in to an ADP Mentor
How can I apply?
All applicants will have to meet the assessment criteria as set out in the ADP policy and complete an application template. Applications should be submitted to email@example.com
Please Note: Applications and any supporting documentation, from you or other parties, must be submitted electronically. Hard copies will not be accepted.
You are strongly advised to discuss your program with your Dean or Director before submitting an application.
The 2019 ADP Interactive Session was held on Thursday 14 February 2019.
Session Presentations from 2019
- Academic Development Program (Research Presentation) (PDF, 377.71 KB) (opens in a new window)
- Academic Development Program (Teaching Presentation) (PDF, 425.19 KB) (opens in a new window)
Workshop Presentations from 2018
Following are the video's from the 2018 workshop.
- Professor Deborah Sweeney speaking to the Research and Development perspective in applying for ADP (opens in a new window)
- Professor Simon Barrie speaking to the Teaching and Learning perspective in applying for ADP (opens in a new window)
- What makes a strong ADP Application? (PDF, 132.33 KB) (opens in a new window)
Following is a relevant video from the 2017 workshop.
- Associate Professor Paul Wormell speaking to the considerations when forming your application for ADP (opens in a new window)
- Academic Development Program (Writing skills Presentation) (PDF, 534.08 KB) (opens in a new window)
Important Dates for 2020
Round 1 - for undertaking ADP from the first half of 2021
- 24 February - Applications called
- 24 March - Applications close
- July - advice of outcomes
Round 2 - for undertaking ADP from the second half of 2021
- 17 July - Applications called
- 26 August at 5pm - Applications close
- Late November - advice of outcomes
What obligations do I have if I am successful?
You must complete the ADP Undertaking Form and Leave and Payment Details Form, and submit to the ADP Coordinator. You also need to submit a report on your ADP upon your return. These obligations are further outlined in the ADP Procedures.
For any queries in regard to the ADP policy or process please email firstname.lastname@example.org or contact Kim Nemetz on x7416
- ADP Application Template (DOC, 65.5 KB) (opens in a new window)
- Guidelines for Writing ADP Applications (PDF, 194.82 KB) (opens in a new window)
- Securing Success: 2018-2020 (opens in a new window)
- Learning Futures Plan (PDF, 3456.77 KB) (opens in a new window)
- 21C Project Strategy and School Pilot Reports(PDF, 3456.77 KB) (opens in a new window)
- Research and Innovation Plan 2018-2020 (PDF, 4640.61 KB) (opens in a new window) (staff login required)
- Global Futures - International Plan 2015-2020 (PDF, 2029.37 KB) (opens in a new window)
- ADP Undertaking Form (PDF, 37.13 KB) (opens in a new window)
- ADP Leave Details Form (PDF, 42.54 KB) (opens in a new window)