- About us
- Courses and training programs
- Work Planning and Career Development
Career Development Opportunities
- - Academic Careers and Development
- - Academic Development Program
- - Academic Promotions
- - Academic Mentoring Program
- - Education Support Allowance
- - Critical Management Conversations
- - Inspire Leadership Program
- - Scholarships for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders
- - Staff Postgraduate Study Scholarships
- - Vice-Chancellor's Professional Development Scholarships
- - Senior Management Group Conference
- - Strategy Forum
- - Professional Staff Mentoring Program
- How-to resources
- Contact us
- Coaching @ Western
Academic Development Program
What is the Academic Development Program (ADP)
A provision for eligible academic staff to undertake a sustained period of academic development - to assist individual members of the academic staff to pursue research; acquire new skills and knowledge that can be applied to their teaching; or to develop ongoing partnerships with industry that will benefit the University.
While your plan may involve international or domestic travel, consideration must be provided in relation to possible quarantine and vaccination requirements.
All applications with proposed travel MUST provide an alternative plan, ie options for virtual collaborations with interstate or overeas organisations if travel is not permitted when you are due to commence your ADP .
Applicants must comply with the Public Health orders at the time of travel. Successful applicants will not be able to delay taking ADP if travel restrictions are in place.
Applicants are encouraged to include both Learning and Teaching (opens in a new window) and Research (opens in a new window) into their proposed program. Guidance for both of these areas is available via the links above.
Who can apply?
Tenured members of the academic staff of the University will, under normal circumstances, be eligible to apply for ADP if they have completed at least three years continuous service - however please read relevant section of the ADP Policy - Eligibility to Undertake ADP.
If you are uncertain, please contact the ADP Coordinator at email@example.com, within the Office of People and Success, for confirmation of your eligibility to apply.
Mentors - Link in to an ADP Mentor
How can I apply?
Applications should be on the current Application template (opens in a new window) and should be accompanied by a short CV (opens in a new window) (template provided) and your Research Activity Statement obtained from the Research Services Office or provided by the ADP Coordinator if not attached to your application.
All applicants will have to meet the assessment criteria as set out in the ADP policy and complete an application template. Applications should be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please Note: Applications and any supporting documentation, from you or other parties, must be submitted electronically. Hard copies will not be accepted.
You are strongly advised to discuss your program with your Dean or Director before submitting an application.
Important Dates for 2021
Applications for 2021 to undertake ADP in the second half of 2022 are open.
Applications will close at 5pm Monday 23 August 2021.
Outcomes should be known in November.
Please contact Kim Nemetz if you have any queries.
Email Kim Nemetz with any specific questions that you may have. Please consult with your Dean and Academic Supervisor. the ADP Mentors are listed to help also.
Session Presentations pre 2020
- Academic Development Program (Research Presentation) (PDF, 377.71 KB) (opens in a new window)
- Academic Development Program (Teaching Presentation) (PDF, 425.19 KB) (opens in a new window)
Following are the video's from the 2018 workshop.
- Professor Deborah Sweeney speaking to the Research and Development perspective in applying for ADP (opens in a new window)
- Professor Simon Barrie speaking to the Teaching and Learning perspective in applying for ADP (opens in a new window)
- What makes a strong ADP Application? (PDF, 132.33 KB) (opens in a new window)
- Associate Professor Paul Wormell speaking to the considerations when forming your application for ADP (opens in a new window)
- Academic Development Program (Writing skills Presentation) (PDF, 534.08 KB) (opens in a new window)
What obligations do I have if I am successful?
You must complete the ADP Undertaking Form and Leave and Payment Details Form, and submit to the ADP Coordinator. You also need to submit a report on your ADP upon your return. These obligations are further outlined in the ADP Procedures.
For any queries in regard to the ADP policy or process please email email@example.com or contact Kim Nemetz on x7416
- ADP Application Template (DOC, 77 KB) (opens in a new window)
- ADP CV Template (opens in a new window)
- Guidelines for Writing ADP Applications (PDF, 194.82 KB) (opens in a new window)
- Sustaining Success 2021-2026 strategic plan (opens in a new window)
- Securing Success: 2018-2020 (opens in a new window)
- Learning Futures Plan (PDF, 3456.77 KB) (opens in a new window)
- 21C Strategic Project (PDF, 3456.77 KB) (opens in a new window)
- Research and Innovation Plan 2018-2020 (PDF, 4640.61 KB) (opens in a new window) (staff login required)
- Global Futures - International Plan 2015-2020 (PDF, 2029.37 KB) (opens in a new window)
- ADP Undertaking Form (PDF, 37.13 KB) (opens in a new window)
- ADP Leave Details Form (PDF, 42.54 KB) (opens in a new window)