Academic Approval (Non-Exchange)

This process is for students participating in a non-exchange, also known as Study Abroad. Non-exchange students pay tuition fees directly to the overseas university or host organisation. Non-exchange students are not enrolled in Western Sydney University's special Exchange 'holding courses' and as a result will not incur any Western Sydney University tuition fees.

How to Apply for Academic Approval (Non-Exchange)

Note: If you are participating in an internship or placement, see Work Experience below.

  1. Complete the Overseas Academic Approval Form (non-exchange) and provide supporting documentation about your course to your Academic Course Advisor (ACA) or Director of Academic Program (DAP)
  2. Submit completed Academic Approval Form to Go Global and Study Abroad. Keep the agreement for future records.
  3. Apply for OS-HELP (optional). Fill out question 3B and 4. DO NOT complete question 3A.
  4. On return from overseas, apply for Advanced Standing for recognition of your studies.

Before You Go

  • Update any contact details on MyStudentRecords (MySR)
  • If you are participating in a Semester Study Abroad (not Short-Term):
  1. Withdraw from any units at Western Sydney University for the period away
  2. Apply for a Leave of Absence
  3. Pay any Western Sydney University debts e.g. SSAF, library fines

How to Find Information

Information about overseas courses and syllabus can usually be found on the overseas university or provider websites. If the information is unavailable, please contact the overseas institution or provider directly.

Units/Subjects at Overseas Universities

If you are studying a a unit/subject at an overseas university, the information should include the Name of the Course (unit/subject), Objective, Number of Hours, Text Books Used and Methods of Assessment.

International Calendars and Credit Points

Due to the differences in Australian and international academic calendars, some start and end dates for overseas programs, may overlap and impede your studies at Western Sydney University. In these circumstances and depending on your situation, Academic Advisors may not approve your intended overseas program.To find out more about overseas Academic Calendars and Credit Points, see International Comparisons.

Work Experience


    If you wish to use an elective, some of the companies listed below have partnered with an American University and offer a U.S. transcript and award up to 20 Western academic credit points. The transcript will be awarded based on assessment tasks including the successful completion of written academic assignments, evidence of reflective learning, and an evaluation from the host organisation. These companies are:

    • The Intern Group (TIG)
    • International Studies Abroad (ISA)

    To receive academic recognition, complete the Overseas Academic Approval Form (non-exchange) process above.

    Core Units

    Many degrees at Western Sydney University have dedicated core units/subjects that can be utilised for work experience, or you may wish to use an elective. If you are uncertain if your degree has a unit/subject for work experience, go to the Western Sydney University course and unit Handbook  and go to 'unit search' and under unit name, type one of the following words: 'experience', 'placement', or 'internship'. To receive academic recognition you will need to discuss the requirements with the relevant coordinator or School placement officer.


    Feel free to contact partner organisations and asks questions about your potential experience. If you would like to discuss an opportunity with a member of staff at Western Sydney University , please email or attend a face-to-face Consultation available on Wednesdays and Fridays - book now through our dedicated bookings portal.