- Research at Western
- For Researchers
- Business Services
- Research Integrity and Ethics
- Centralised Research Facilities
- Research Participation Opportunities
- Research Services Update
- Contact us
Mass Spectrometry Facility
The Mass Spectrometry Facility offers access to advanced mass spectrometry, either direct sample analysis (infusion of samples in solution) or coupled to ultra high performance liquid chromatography (nanoflow or conventional).
Instrumentation currently available includes a Waters Acquity nanoflow UPLC coupled to a Waters Xevo QToF and a Waters Acquity UPLC coupled to a Waters Xevo Triple Quadrupole. Example applications include proteomics, metabolomics, lipidomics, small molecule (drug/vitamin) quantitation and molecular weight determinations.
Scope and Function
The Mass Spectrometry Facility will provide:
- Access to mass spectrometry and chromatography instrumentation
- Development and validation of mass spectrometric methods
- Application of these new technologies to assist with your research
- Student education and training and advice in the use of mass spectrometry and associated data analysis
- Sample analysis on a fee-for-service or collaborative basis
The Xevo QToF coupled with nanoAcquity UPLC separation technology provides a system for high sensitivity analysis of complex mixtures, for example proteomics (sequencing), metabolomics, small molecule identification, lipidomics, molecular weight confirmation and structural analysis. Static nanospray is also available for molecular weight confirmation of purified/fractionated analytes. An atmospheric solids analysis probe (ASAP) allows for rapid sample introduction of solids or involatile liquids with minimal preparation.
The Xevo TQ coupled to Acquity UPLC provides a system for rapid identification and quantification of small molecules with high sensitivity and specificity..
nanoACQUITY UltraPerformance LC® (UPLC®)
The nanoACQUITY UltraPerformance LC® (UPLC® ) System is designed for high pressure nano-scale, capillary, and narrow-bore separations to attain the highest chromatographic resolution, sensitivity, and reproducibility.
The system's 10,000 psi operating pressure capability allows for superior high-peak capacity separations by operating longer columns packed with sub-2 micron particles. It is optimized for high-resolution identification and 2D-LC separations at precise nano-flow rates.
Xevo Quadrupole-Time of Flight Mass Spectrometer
The Xevo QToF allows molecular weight determination with up to 2ppm mass accuracy and 10 000 resolution, with very high sensitivity (fmol) and dynamic range. Spectra can be acquired up to 20/sec – compatible with the very narrow chromatographic peaks obtained from UPLC. MSE as well as traditional MS/MS can be employed to get the most data out of each analysis.
This configuration is ideal for proteomics (sequencing, shotgun, ID, PTM's), metabolomics and lipidomics.
Xevo TQ Triple Quadrupole Mass Spectrometer
The Xevo TQ triple quadrupole mass spectrometer coupled to Acquity UPLC separations allows the selective, fast, accurate, robust and sensitive quantitation of small organic molecules, with a range of ionization options (ESI, APCI and ESCI).
Example applications include quantitation of vitamins and drugs in human plasma and tissue and quantitation of endocannibinoids in cell culture.
This instrument can also be used for precursor scanning applications, for example in lipidomics.
- Mass Spec Registration Process (PDF, 88.86 KB) (opens in a new window)
- Mass Spec User Registration Form (PDF, 106.82 KB) (opens in a new window)
- Mass Spec Sample Submission Form (PDF, 456.68 KB) (opens in a new window)
- Sample Preparation Guidelines
- List of Facility Instruments (PDF, 206.9 KB) (opens in a new window)