- Research at Western
- For Researchers
- Business Services
- Research Integrity and Ethics
- Research Management Solution
- Centralised Research Facilities
- Research Participation Opportunities
- Research Services Update
- Contact us
External Ethics Approval Recognition
If you have received ethics approval from an external NHMRC registered Research Ethics Committee (for example, another university or an Area Health Service Ethics Committee) you can request recognition of that approval instead of submitting a new ethics application to the University.
To be eligible for Western Sydney University external ethics recognition:
- the Western Sydney University staff / student must be listed on the approved ethics application, and / or named in the approval letter (or an approved amendment letter)
- where appropriate Western Sydney University must be listed as a research site
- the approving HREC must accept responsibility for the project at all sites, ie ongoing project monitoring including adverse event monitoring.
To request recognition, submit a completed External Ethics Recognition Cover Sheet (DOCX, 49.41 KB) (opens in a new window) and attach copies of:
- the application to the other institution
- the other institution's ethics approval letter; and
- any other related correspondence.
Note: this exemption does not apply to NSW Department of Education approval to conduct research in NSW schools. Western Sydney University HREC ethics clearance must first be obtained for this research.