Lecturer & Academic Course Advisor, Occupational Therapy, School of Science and Health
Dr Kristy Coxon is a registered occupational therapist. She graduated with first class honours from Western Sydney University in 1999. Her honours research investigated post-acute occupational therapy intervention with older adults. Since graduation Kristy has worked in acute, rehabilitation and outpatient settings primarily in Sydney West Area Health Service. Kristy has been involved in program development, health evaluation research with people with chronic airway limitation, and represented allied health on area wide collaboratives.
Kristy's PhD research evaluated the effectiveness of an individualised program to promote safety and maintain mobility for drivers aged 75 years and older. This research has helped inform policy and practice in the area and bought about important insights into ways to assist older people maintain community mobility regardless of their driving status. Kristy is also involved in research evaluating seat belt fit in drivers aged 75 years and older, use of add-on seat belt and seat accessories by older drivers and use of powered two-wheeled motorbikes in children. Kristy has a strong interest in exploring best practice for optimising independence while preserving safety within community groups. Kristy has presented papers at conferences both nationally and internationally, and has published her research in internationally recognised peer-reviewed journals.
Dr Kristy Coxon has a program of research in driving, community mobility and participation across the lifespan. Her research interests include:
- Investigating safe community mobility for older Australians
- Evaluating interventions to help older drivers make safe and informed decision about their driving exposure, while maintaining community mobility and participation
- Evaluating programs for young, novice and learner drivers
- Use of two wheeled motor bikes in children and developmental readiness
- Investigating best evidence on wheelchair prescription and training
- Occupational Therapy Australia (1998)
Qualifications and Recognition
- PhD University of Sydney
- BAppScOT Western Sydney University
- Registered occupational therapist
Research and Publications