Senior Lecturer, Health and Physical Education, School of Health Sciences
Dr Rhiannon White is a Senior Lecturer in Health and Physical Education at Western Sydney University.
Rhiannon’s research focuses on the relationships between specific physical activity domains (leisure-time, active transport, work-related physical activity, household physical activity, school sport, and physical education) and mental health. Her work aims to better understand these relationships so that physical activity can be promoted in a way that is most likely to improve mental health. Her current line of work is focusing on better understanding contextual factors that influence the effects of physical activity on mental health (e.g., social environment, motivation, type of activity, physical environment) in order to achieve this. Rhiannon also conducts research relating to improving the psychological outcomes of physical education and youth sport.
Rhiannon’s research expertise includes systematic reviews and meta-analyses, questionnaire development, accelerometry data, multi-level structural equation modelling, and qualitative research design and analysis. Rhiannon also has experience with randomised controlled trials and has worked with adolescents in school and community sport settings, as well as adults in the general population and in exercise specific settings.
- Physical activity
- Mental Health and wellbeing
- Self-determination theory
- Exercise psychology
- Physical Education
- International Society of Behavioral Nutrition and physical Activity (2015 - 2018)
Qualifications and Recognition
- Higher Education Academy Senior Fellow
- Western Sydney Uni Teacher of the Year Award 2020
- Western Sydney Uni Excellence in Teaching Award – Early Career 2020
- International Society for Behavioral Nutrition and Physical Activity (ISBNPA) Motivation SIG poster award runner-up 2018
- PhD Australian Catholic University 2017Western Sydney University Medal for Outstanding Scholarship 2013
- BHSc (Honours) Western Sydney University 2013
- Western Sydney University School of Science and Health Dean’s Medal 2012
- BHSc (PDHPE) Western Sydney University 2012
Research & Publications