Lecturer in Health and Physical Education in the school of Science and Health.
Dr Rhiannon White is a Lecturer in Health and Physical Education (HPE) at Western Sydney University. Rhiannon completed her undergraduate degree in Health Science (PDHPE) and her honours degree on the development of resilience through youth sport (First Class Honours) both at Western Sydney University. Rhiannon completed her PhD in exercise psychology at the Australian Catholic University (graduating in 2017). Rhiannon’s PhD research focused on the relationships between specific physical activity domains (leisure-time, active transport, work-related physical activity, household physical activity, school sport, and physical education) and mental health. Her PhD research also examined whether motivation towards physical activity influenced the relationships between physical activity and mental health.
Rhiannon’s current research aims to improve the psychological outcomes of physical education, and, better understand the relationship between exercise and mental health so that physical activity can be promoted in a way that is most likely to improve mental health.
Rhiannon’s research expertise includes systematic reviews and meta-analyses, questionnaire development, accelerometry data, multi-level structural equation modelling, and qualitative analyses. Rhiannon also has experience with randomised controlled trials, and has worked primarily with adolescents in school and community sport settings. Rhiannon has published a number of peer reviewed journal articles and has presented at the International Society for Behavioral Nutrition and Physical Activity conference.
- Physical activity
- Mental Health and wellbeing
- Self-determination theory
- Physical Education
- International Society of Behavioral Nutrition and physical Activity (2015 - 2018)
Qualifications and Recognition
- International Society for Behavioral Nutrition and Physical Activity (ISBNPA) Motivation SIG poster award runner-up 2018
- PhD Australian Catholic University 2017Western Sydney University Medal for Outstanding Scholarship 2013
- BHSc (Honours) Western Sydney University 2013
- Western Sydney University School of Science and Health Dean’s Medal 2012
- BHSc (PDHPE) Western Sydney University 2012
Research & Publications